Valve opens up the Steam Early Access programme
From today Steam will feature an Early Access programme allowing gamers to play some of their most wanted titles before they're released.
The new Early Access programme picks up on the new trend of offering gamers willing to spend the chance to play alpha and beta builds of games essentially participating in testing for pre-purchasing the finished game.
Badland Studio's Sean Pollman, whose Kinetic Void is one of the first games to appear on Steam Early Access said, "A lot of games are already operating as ongoing services that grow and evolve with the involvement of customers and the community. Greenlight helped us raise awareness for Kinetic Void, and now Steam Early Access will let us continue the development of our game while gathering crucial feedback, input and support from the steam Community."
Kinetic Void will be joined on Steam Early Access by 1... 2... 3... KICK IT! (Drop That Beat Like an Ugly Baby), Arma 3, Drunken Robot Pornography, Gear Up, Gnomoria, Kenshi, Kerbal Space Program, Patterns, Prison Architect, StarForge and Under the Ocean.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III is coming to the PS3 and Xbox 360 after all
- Tomonobu Itagaki's Devil's Third gets a release date
- Adr1ft is coming to PC and consoles at the end of the summer
- EA gives the new Mirror's Edge a name – Mirror's Edge Catalyst
- ZombiU PS4 and Xbox One port reportedly in the works
- Mike Bithell's Volume to be released this August
- Gearbox's new shooter Battleborn gets a pre-E3 trailer
- Steam Controller launches in October, Steam Machines arrive in November
- Gears Of War devs Black Tusk change their name to The Coalition ahead of E3