Ultima creator Richard Garriott returns to his RPG roots with Shroud Of The Avatar
Richard 'Lord British' Garriott is to return to building RPGs with his new title Shroud Of The Avatar.
The game is a spiritual successor to the Ultima series and will be heavily story-driven affair with players creating their characters according to psychological attributes.
Garriott explains, "Shroud of the Avatar will include what I think are the keys to an ultimate role-playing experience. These important tenets include things like a fully interactive virtual world, deep original fiction with ethical parables such that players' choices are relevant, cultural histories and fully developed alternative languages and text. Also we want our players to have physical game components like cloth maps, fictional manuals and trinkets. These are all things that people came to expect in my earlier works and we plan on bringing them all back to create Shroud of the Avatar."
Shroud Of The Avatar is destined to be a downloadable PC title with additional episodic content to be released in the future. It is being built as a solo experience but it will also contain a persistent world where players can interact.
Sounds pretty ambitious. If you think it's worth a punt or you're just curious to see what Richard Garriott is up to now just head over to Shroud Of The Avatar's Kickstarter page to see what the game is all about and even perhaps invest in it.
- Stealth Inc 2 is coming to PC, PlayStation and Xbox
- Frozenbyte announces Trine 3: Artifacts Of Power
- Epic has dropped the subscription fee for the Unreal Engine 4
- Rumour: DirectX 12 could allow mixing and matching of AMD and Nvidia GPUs
- No more online modes for Ridge Racer Unbounded in Europe
- Mortal Kombat X coming to mobiles as a free-to-play card battler
- EA announces details of Battlefield: Hardline Premium
- Payday 2: Crimewave Edition to hit PS4 and Xbox One in the summer
- Valve and HTC partner up for the new SteamVR device the Vive