Ultima creator Richard Garriott returns to his RPG roots with Shroud Of The Avatar
Richard 'Lord British' Garriott is to return to building RPGs with his new title Shroud Of The Avatar.
The game is a spiritual successor to the Ultima series and will be heavily story-driven affair with players creating their characters according to psychological attributes.
Garriott explains, "Shroud of the Avatar will include what I think are the keys to an ultimate role-playing experience. These important tenets include things like a fully interactive virtual world, deep original fiction with ethical parables such that players' choices are relevant, cultural histories and fully developed alternative languages and text. Also we want our players to have physical game components like cloth maps, fictional manuals and trinkets. These are all things that people came to expect in my earlier works and we plan on bringing them all back to create Shroud of the Avatar."
Shroud Of The Avatar is destined to be a downloadable PC title with additional episodic content to be released in the future. It is being built as a solo experience but it will also contain a persistent world where players can interact.
Sounds pretty ambitious. If you think it's worth a punt or you're just curious to see what Richard Garriott is up to now just head over to Shroud Of The Avatar's Kickstarter page to see what the game is all about and even perhaps invest in it.
- Microsoft celebrates the 1st birthday of the Xbox One with free access to Sunset Overdrive
- Hacker group leaks account details for thousands of PSN, Origin, Windows Live and 2K Game Studios accounts
- RedLynx promises online multiplayer is coming to Trials Fusion early next year
- Valve reworks their Steam Early Access developer guidelines and rules
- Here's a bunch of new screenshots of Project CARS running on the Xbox One
- Free Power Of Defiance DLC arrives for Shadow Of Mordor
- Teaser trailer arrives for Telltale's Game Of Thrones
- Tales From The Borderlands to debut this month
- Archwing update arrives for the console versions of Warframe