Crytek wanted Vigil but not Darksiders or Crawler
Crytek boss Cervat Yerli has revealed their reasons behind their hiring of the staff at Vigil and their surprise that nobody put in a bid for the Darksiders developer.
Yerli admitted that they had considered putting in a bid for Vigil themeslves but the projects were not really in line with what Crytek and doing now and so they ultimately decided against buying the studio.
He explained, "We were surprised when nobody bid on Vigil. We would have liked to have bid, but there were too many unknowns. I thought that maybe we could reconsider bidding, but eventually we decided not to because the projects [the developer was working on] weren't strategically fit for us, but I really liked David [when I talked to him] on the phone. He made a very good impression on me as someone who really cared, someone who is really passionate about what he does, and someone who is passionate about the team he works with."
While Crytek were surprised that nobody put in a bid for Vigil it worked out alright in the end as it enabled them to swoop in and secure their key staff to form the basis of their new team at Crytek USA.
"We didn't want to continue with Darksiders III, since that doesn't fit with our strategy. It's not like we set the team on a specific game concept. They're actually going to work on what David and the team identifies as what they want to do. Right now, they just know what the strategy of Crytek is and the framework we need to satisfy, but none of that drives what the game is about," Yerli added on what Crytek Usa will be working on.
- Bungie explains their latest weapon balancing efforts in Destiny, promises more is coming
- Blizzard aiming to release Hearthstone on Android tablets by the end of the year
- Former BioWare man Casey Hudson hints at an Oculus Rift project
- Dark Souls on PC to switch from Games For Windows Live to Steam next month
- Square Enix announces details and pricing on the premium livestream of Final Fantasy XIV Fan Festival 2014
- First Challenge Mode DLC arrives next week for Alien: Isolation
- Metallica to close out this year's BlizzCon
- Free DLC adds a new skin and runes to Shadow Of Mordor
- ESL Gaming app arrives for the Xbox One