Crytek wanted Vigil but not Darksiders or Crawler
Crytek boss Cervat Yerli has revealed their reasons behind their hiring of the staff at Vigil and their surprise that nobody put in a bid for the Darksiders developer.
Yerli admitted that they had considered putting in a bid for Vigil themeslves but the projects were not really in line with what Crytek and doing now and so they ultimately decided against buying the studio.
He explained, "We were surprised when nobody bid on Vigil. We would have liked to have bid, but there were too many unknowns. I thought that maybe we could reconsider bidding, but eventually we decided not to because the projects [the developer was working on] weren't strategically fit for us, but I really liked David [when I talked to him] on the phone. He made a very good impression on me as someone who really cared, someone who is really passionate about what he does, and someone who is passionate about the team he works with."
While Crytek were surprised that nobody put in a bid for Vigil it worked out alright in the end as it enabled them to swoop in and secure their key staff to form the basis of their new team at Crytek USA.
"We didn't want to continue with Darksiders III, since that doesn't fit with our strategy. It's not like we set the team on a specific game concept. They're actually going to work on what David and the team identifies as what they want to do. Right now, they just know what the strategy of Crytek is and the framework we need to satisfy, but none of that drives what the game is about," Yerli added on what Crytek Usa will be working on.
- Next week's Destiny events detailed
- Swery65's D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die is out now on Xbox One
- Silent Hills could be an episodic title
- Thomas Was Alone is making the jump to the PS4
- Destiny helps give the PS4 a 300 percent sales kick
- New Yakuza 0 trailer shows off 1980s Japan
- Bloodborne's Western release date has been confirmed
- Classic WWII RTS action returns with Blitzkrieg 3
- Tetsuya Nomura leaves Final Fantasy XV to concentrate of Kingdom Hearts III