Vigil loses out in the THQ sale
Vigil Games seems to have been the big loser in the THQ sale as neither them nor their Darksiders IP have been able to find a home.
It is widely believed that Darksiders II needed to sell 2 million copies in order to break even and despite positive reviews and sales in excess of 1 million in the first month it has struggle to reach its break even point. This may have been the main reason for neither finding a buyer.
The other sad part of this is that Vigil claims their new project codenamed Crawler was a killer. Lead Combat Designer at Vigil, Ben Cureton said on NeoGAF, "I knew, without a shadow of [a] doubt, that the project we were working on was going to blow people away. In fact, it did blow people away. We did, in two months, what many companies haven't done in a year. The pride of knowing that no one was doing anything like us was so satisfying. So maybe you can imagine what it feels like when you read the list of who bought what only to discover your name is not on the list. Why? Did we do something wrong? Were we not good enough? Were we not worth 'anything?' Imagine that."
Cureton continued, "I've been in this industry for 20 years," he added. "I've been laid off more than once. It sucks every time. But am I sad I don't have a job? Not really. I'm sure I'll get another one eventually. I'm sad because it won't be this job. It won't be at Vigil. That's why I'm sad. The people I waged war with are no longer together. The people that I bled with, vented with, argued with, and kicked back with... these people will never be together again in the same combination."
There may yet be some hope for Darksiders fans at least as Platinum Games boss Atsushi Inaba has expressed some interest in picking up the Darksiders franchise.
- IGDA Board Of Directors calls for the community to rally against attacks, threats and harassment of developers
- Square Enix reveals what they've added in Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMIX in the latest trailer
- New Lords Of The Fallen trailer introduces the game world and soundtrack
- Jonathan Blow responds to the last couple of weeks nastiness in his own honest fashion
- Apple holding a press event on September 9th, likely for iPhone announcement
- Have you ever wondered what Dark Souls would look like as a 2D platformer?
- Microsoft announces a release date for Forza Horizon 2 demo
- Assassin's Creed: Unity release pushed back
- GOG adds DRM-free movies to it's catalogue