BioWare forums becoming toxic says Dragon Age lead writer
David Gaider, the lead writer on the Dragon Age franchise has spoken about how he is actively trying to avoid the BioWare forums because of the toxic atmosphere.
Responding to a fan question about how much BioWare are aware of many fans avoiding the forums because of the horrendously negative tone that has developed on the there Gaider explained that he stayed away from them as much as possible for the same reasons.
He began, "Spending too much time there starts to make me feel negative- not just about the games we make, but about myself and life in general. That's not a good feeling to have."
"I'm sure there are folks there who would bristle at that comment, suggesting that all negative feedback is justifiable and that ignoring it is the equivalent of us sticking our heads in the sand," Gaider continued. "How will we ever improve unless we listen to their scolding and take our lumps like good little developers? "
He went on, "That is, of course, ignoring the idea that we haven't already digested a mountain of feedback - both positive and negative - and there's really only so much of it you can take. Eventually you make decisions (informed by that feedback, though only in part - it can only ever be in part) and move on."
Both Dragon Age II and Mass Effect 3 took large volleys of criticism from the community which even prompted to BioWare releasing a free Extended Cut ending for ME3.
Gaider added that eventually in such an atmosphere any positive contributions will get lost in the seas of toxic negativity.
"Eventually you get the feeling like you're at one of those parties where all anyone is doing is bitching. It doesn't matter what they're bitching about so much as, sooner or later, that's all you can really hear. I think there's something to be said there about the level of rhetoric and entitlement among online gamer communities in general. Perhaps there is also something to be said about whether the games BioWare makes still satisfy our core fans," Gaider concluded.
- Supremacy, Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare's next DLC coming to Xbox next month with added Bruce Campbell
- 2K launches a teaser for a new title possibly called Advent
- Mad Max gets a new trailer teasing the game's story
- Bethesda purges a load of stolen keys from The Elder Scrolls Online
- Peter Stormare joins the cast of Until Dawn as it gets a release date
- Resident Evil Zero is the next Capcom game to get an HD remaster
- The Executioner DLC arrives for The Evil Within
- NBA 2K16 gets a release date and early-access for pre-orders
- New Overwatch videos show off Hanzo and McCree