New GameSpy owners Glu kill Sniper Elite servers without warning or consent
Glu the new owners of GameSpy have killed support for several of the older PC titles that use GameSpy technology without warning or prior consent from the titles' developers.
Sniper Elite is just one of the PC titles that has been effected causing a bit of frustration at developer Rebellion. Rebellion's Steve Hart spoke about the situation, "A few weeks ago, the online multiplayer servers for Sniper Elite were suddenly switched off by Glu, the third-party service we had been paying to maintain them."
"For the past seven years we have run these servers at a cost to ourselves so that fans of Sniper Elite could continue to play online for free. This decision by Glu was not taken in consultation with us and was beyond our control," Hart continued.
Other big titles to suffer the same fate as Sniper Elite are Hidden and Dangerous 2, Wings of War, SWAT 4, Neverwinter Nights titles, Star Wars: Battlefront and Flight Simulator X.
Hart continued, "We have been talking to [Glu] since to try and get the servers turned back on. We have been informed that in order to do so would cost us tens of thousands of pounds a year - far in excess of how much we were paying previously. We also do not have the option to take the multiplayer to a different provider. Because the game relies on Glu and Gamespy's middleware, the entire multiplayer aspect of the game would have to be redeveloped by us, again, at the cost of many tens of thousands of pounds."
- Visuals are key to the PS4's success according to Nielsen's latest survey
- Sledgehammer considering revisiting classic multiplayer maps for Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare
- New ToeJam & Earl game comes to Kickstarter
- Free login campaign announced as Final Fantasy XIV tops 4 million registered users
- Fable Legends will be free-to-play on both PC and Xbox One
- Bastion will hit the PS4 in April
- Sierra bringing Velocity 2X to Xbox One and PC
- This month is a triple-A bonanza for Xbox gamers on Games With Gold
- New House Of Wolves leak shows a Reef social hub for Destiny