League Of Legends hires psychologists to help deal with community misbehaviour
League Of Legends developer Riot Games has set up a team including psychologists to deal with the particularly brutal brand of trolls within the game's community.
The new Player Behaviour and Justice and Team (PB and J for short) includes both a cognitive neuroscientist and a behavioural psychologist that is going to get the misbehaving elements of the League Of Legends community under control.
The game's producer Travis George elaborates, "There's a line, and that line generally is people being mean for the sake of being mean telling you what to do, telling you how bad you are. And I think we can actually fix a lot of that,. This is going to be a major focus for us. How do we actually more tangibly understand how bad the impact is, or what the impact is, or understand the problem more?"
"We've actually developed specific trends," he goes on, "and our own set of metrics that we look at for measuring what percentage of times we think that players will encounter a negative experience in a game, and how severe that negative experience is. And then we have to build things or be responsive or message the community in a particular way to address those things."
George added, "And that's where you've got guys who are PhD researchers who can help develop those models, and we have, actually, those models for how we track and trend what we call 'player behaviour. You can apply really good research and science techniques to almost anything. The trick is just finding what you want to actually spend the time on, and that's where the sentiment for players comes in as a huge guiding factor to that."
- Valve's Chet Faliszek has been confirmed as the first developer session for EGX Rezzed 2015
- One area from Zelda Wii U is as big as the entirety of Skyward Sword
- Telltale's new collaboration is with Mojang, on a Minecraft story game
- Franklin voice actor indicates GTA V story DLC is on the way
- Red Dead Redemption, LA Noire and Bully sequels will come when the time is right says Rockstar
- Telltale teases another collaboration with another game developer
- New Company Of Heroes 2: Ardennes Assault trailer recognizes the 70th anniversary of the Battle of the Bulge
- New Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare trailer focuses on character customization
- Splash Damage's free-to-play shooter Dirty Bomb coming to Steam in the new year