League Of Legends hires psychologists to help deal with community misbehaviour
League Of Legends developer Riot Games has set up a team including psychologists to deal with the particularly brutal brand of trolls within the game's community.
The new Player Behaviour and Justice and Team (PB and J for short) includes both a cognitive neuroscientist and a behavioural psychologist that is going to get the misbehaving elements of the League Of Legends community under control.
The game's producer Travis George elaborates, "There's a line, and that line generally is people being mean for the sake of being mean telling you what to do, telling you how bad you are. And I think we can actually fix a lot of that,. This is going to be a major focus for us. How do we actually more tangibly understand how bad the impact is, or what the impact is, or understand the problem more?"
"We've actually developed specific trends," he goes on, "and our own set of metrics that we look at for measuring what percentage of times we think that players will encounter a negative experience in a game, and how severe that negative experience is. And then we have to build things or be responsive or message the community in a particular way to address those things."
George added, "And that's where you've got guys who are PhD researchers who can help develop those models, and we have, actually, those models for how we track and trend what we call 'player behaviour. You can apply really good research and science techniques to almost anything. The trick is just finding what you want to actually spend the time on, and that's where the sentiment for players comes in as a huge guiding factor to that."
- SEGA unveils the new definitive Total War: Rome II – Emperor Edition
- Prison Architect alpha build 24 arrives
- Bayonetta 2 gets a final release date
- Deep Down now delayed until 2015
- Castlevania: Lords Of Shadow producer Dave Cox parts ways with Konami
- Xenoblade Chronicles coming to the New 3DS
- Deep Silver teases a devilish Saints Row V reveal
- Nintendo announces two brand new upgraded 3DS models
- Microsoft announces Games With Gold selection for September