Mike Capps retires as the president of Epic Games
Epic Games has announced the retirement of Mike Capps from his role as president of the Gears Of War developer.
Capps will remain as a member of the board of the developer and will also perform an advisory role but his main aims are to pursue some new challenges outside the games industry and, as he has a child on the way, he plans to be a stay at home dad for a while.
The official statement from Epic Games read, "Mike Capps is retiring from his role as president of Epic Games to take on the ultimate boss battle of fatherhood and spend more time with his family. He will continue to serve on Epic's board of directors and advise on the development of our games. We thank Mike for the 10 years he's spent leading our studio, implementing practices that enable us to create amazing games and technology, and making Epic one of the best places to work."
Capps added to the official statement saying, "Epic founder and CEO Tim Sweeney and other board members asked me to stay on the board, and I'm thrilled to do so as I'm truly excited about our future games and Unreal Engine 4. I've got great confidence in our executive team," Capps writes. "VP of Development Paul Meegan is new to our Raleigh HQ, but we've worked with him for years, and I can only contemplate this retirement knowing that he and VP of Operations John Farnsworth can manage development better than I ever did."
Epic seems to be in a bit of a transitional period with Capps being the third major figure to leave the company towards the tail end of this year following Rod Fergusson who joined Irrational Games and Cliff Bleszinski who left to take a break breather from games development.
Despite the departures Epic doesn't seem to be missing a step with Gears Of War: Judgement and Infinity Blade Dungeons due out next year as well as the Unreal Engine 4 and PC title Fortnite which will show off UE4's capabilities in development.
- New Overwatch videos show off Hanzo and McCree
- Tychus loses his cigar for his appearance in Heroes Of The Storm
- Capcom details the Ultra Street Fighter IV PS4 upgrades
- Codemasters releases a teaser for F1 2015
- Total War: Arena gameplay unveiled
- Warner Bros bringing Batman's cowl and cape from Batman: Arkham Knight to MCM Comic-Con this weekend
- Red Thread gives an update on Dreamfall Chapters Book Three
- Sony releases a pretty 1080p gameplay video of God Of War III on PS4
- Techland shelves Hellraid to focus on Dying Light