Star Citizen sets new records for crowd-funding
Chris Roberts' return to game development, Star Citizen has been so warmly welcomed by the PC gaming community that it has set new records for a crowd-funded game.
Between the game's own crowd-funding campaign and Kickstarter Star Citizen has raised a total of 6.23 million USD smashing the record recently set by Obsidian's Project Eternity on Kickstarter set at 4.16 million USD.
Star Citizen's website RobertsSpaceIndustries.com has raised just over 4.1 million USD on its own with the Kickstarter campaign adding a further 2.13 million USD.
Roberts said, "I am absolutely elated by the incredible outpouring of support for this project. It's clear that space sim fans have just been waiting for a game like ours to come along and rekindle some of the excitement that's been missing from PC games and the space sim genre. With the resources that our fans have provided, it means the team will be able to provide more features in Star Citizen and deliver an even better game."
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III is coming to the PS3 and Xbox 360 after all
- Tomonobu Itagaki's Devil's Third gets a release date
- Adr1ft is coming to PC and consoles at the end of the summer
- EA gives the new Mirror's Edge a name – Mirror's Edge Catalyst
- ZombiU PS4 and Xbox One port reportedly in the works
- Mike Bithell's Volume to be released this August
- Gearbox's new shooter Battleborn gets a pre-E3 trailer
- Steam Controller launches in October, Steam Machines arrive in November
- Gears Of War devs Black Tusk change their name to The Coalition ahead of E3