BioWare drops the Unreal Engine in favour of Frostbite 2 for the next Mass Effect game
EA appears to be fully investing its future into DICE's impressive Frostbite 2 game engine with the news that BioWare have adopted the tech for their upcoming titles.
The Frostbite 2 engine has already been adopted by Danger Close for Medal Of Honor and the Need For Speed series as well as next year's Army Of Two: The Devils Cartel. Now BioWare is the latest EA studio to pick up DICEs tech.
As well as developing the next Mass Effect title using Frostbite 2, BioWare has also been using the engine for Dragon Age III.
EA Games boss Patrick Soderlund said "We want to transfer resources between studios, and if they have the same knowledge on the tech base, it's going to be a hell of lot easier for us to do that efficiently, and for them to get help or for them to give help."
EA has also revealed that BioWare Montreal will be handling the development duties on the new Mass Effect game, taking over the series from their Edmonton studio.
On the new Mass Effect title BioWare Montreal head Yanick Roy stated, "While [the next Mass Effect] will be very respectful of the heritage built over the course of the first three games, with the original trilogy now concluded and the switch over to a new engine, we are exploring new directions, both on the gameplay and story fronts."
- Thomas Was Alone gets a release date for PS4 and Wii U
- New Warframe update adds space-flight to the gameplay with Archwing mode
- New poll indicates that people believe online gaming is “the least welcoming space” for women
- CD Projekt RED releases The Trail, the opening cinematic from The Witcher 3
- New Project CARS trailer pulls up to the starting grid
- Far Cry 4 dev says linear games will suffer in the new world of gameplay video sharing
- Almost 1,100 developers, students and journalists sign the new #gamediversity petition embracing diversity in games
- Felicia Day breaks her silence about #Gamergate, is almost immediately doxxed
- Ubisoft announces PC specs for Assassin's Creed: Unity and they're killer