Volition's Steve Jaros: Sarkeesian was right to call out Saints Row
Saints Row's creative director Steve Jaros has conceded that Feminist Frequency's Anita Sarkeesian was right to call out the series for the way it uses women.
Sarkeesian called the original Saints Row out as an example of how games how games are guilty of objectifying women in her latest Tropes Vs Women in Video Games video (above). Jaros explained that whe was right to call the out the original game but he added that they are working to change they way that they protray women in the series.
“This is something we all should be better at. Yes, the original saints Row is listed here. Yes, it should be,” Jaros stated on Twitter.
He elaborated to The Escapist, “I think that we shouldn’t be portraying senseless abused women and I think that if I could go back and hop in a time machine I would have done things differently.”
“I think it’s fair to be called out on your shit. I think that it’s a sad man that can never be self-reflective,” he went on. “I think that we tried to go and carry ourselves with respect, and try to respect sexuality and respect gender as much as we can, and sometimes we fail but hopefully we’ll do better and continue to get better.”
- Techland announces a Dying Light modding contest alongside new updates for the toolset
- 2K announces the Evolve Proving Grounds tournament in conjunction with ESL
- Broken Age: Part 2 arrives for backers 24 hours ahead of the full launch
- Halo Championship Series Cup 1 cancelled due to continued online problems
- Dirt Rally announced as a PC exclusive, hits Steam Early Access
- PC benchmarking app arrives for Final Fantasy XIV players to make sure they can run Heavensward
- [UPDATE] Hideo Kojima and Guillermo Del Toro collaboration Silent Hills looks like it has been canned
- Gears Of War Xbox One remaster looks like it's coming
- Batman: Arkham Knight will have GTA V-style character switching