Cliff Bleszinski leaves Epic to take a break from games
Cliff Bleszinski, the creative force behind much of what Epic Games has produced over the last 20 years has announced that he is stepping down from the company.
The reasoning behind his departure is that he feels like he hasn't stopped to take a breath in all of his 20 years in the industry having been credited on an impressive 27 titles including every Gears Of War, Unreal and Unreal Tournament game as well as notable others like Jazz Jackrabbit, Shadow Complex and Bulletstorm.
He said, "I've been doing this since I was a teenager, and outside of my sabbatical last year, I have been going non-stop. I literally grew up in this business, as Mike likes to say. And now that Im grown up, its time for a much needed break."
"I will miss the projects, the playtests, the debates, and most importantly, the people," Bleszinski added. "Epic only hires the best of the best, and it has been a joy working with each and every one of you on a daily basis, whether you were hired weeks ago or decades ago. I have been fortunate enough to collaborate with a variety of disciplines, from code to art to marketing and PR its been one big, rewarding learning experience. I'm confident that each project that is being built, whether at Epic, Chair, PCF, or Impossible will be top notch and will please gamers and critics alike."
Bleszinski will be missed and Epic president Mike Capps, CEO Tim Sweeney and Studio VP Mark Rein all paying tribute to his talent and wishing him well for the future.
Thanks Develop Online.
- Geometry Wars 3 hits PC today, consoles tomorrow
- Retail listing for ZombiU 2 spotted
- 343 admits last week's Halo: The Master Chief Collection patch didn't work as well as they'd hoped, promises to keep working
- Dark Souls II is heading to PS4, Xbox One and DirectX 11 PC next year
- Square Enix boss promises a brand new console RPG reveal next month
- Ubisoft reveals there will be no release day reviews for The Crew
- Surprise! Tales From The Borderlands episode one is out today
- StarCraft 2 pro-player expelled from Fragbite Masters tournament for Twitter rape comment about a female opponent
- New video gives a sneak peek at Destiny's first DLC The Dark Below