Fils-Aime: The MiiVerse will sell the Wii U
Nintendo of America boss Reggie Fils-Aime believes that the biggest draw for the Wii U will be its new social networking facilities embodied in the MiiVerse.
Rather than there being one specific game that will appear as a killer app for the Wii U, Fils-Aime highlighted the MiiVerse unique features as they appear on the Wii U's main screen (and eventually mobiles and tablets).
Friends currently online will appear up as their respective Miis with speech bubbles displaying their current updates, messages and even pictures in real time.
He explained, "As the network grows and the installed base grows, it will prove to be a true killer application for the system, and I say this loving what we have done with Nintendo TVii and loving all the games. Until you try it and experience it, you may not totally understand it. People have to leave the current paradigm behind to understand what we are trying to do. Miiverse is going to be embedded right on the game platform, so literally some of the activity will be able to happen immediately as people experience it."
This echoes comments that Sony made about the 3G functionality of the PS Vita suggesting that you really needed to try it out in order to understand what you would get from it. All will be revealed when the Wii U finally arrives this November in the US then Europe.
- EA closes Maxis Emeryville
- Pillars Of Eternity is going to be massive
- Frontier is bringing Elite: Dangerous to the Xbox One this year
- Xbox One snags Wasteland 2
- Valve settles on a final design for the Steam Controller
- Elite creator David Braben to be honoured with this year's BAFTA Fellowship
- The date's out but Konami reveals the Collector's Edition of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
- New Steam Link hardware unveiled by Valve, Steam Controllers dated
- Valve announces the Source 2 engine