Fils-Aime: The MiiVerse will sell the Wii U
Nintendo of America boss Reggie Fils-Aime believes that the biggest draw for the Wii U will be its new social networking facilities embodied in the MiiVerse.
Rather than there being one specific game that will appear as a killer app for the Wii U, Fils-Aime highlighted the MiiVerse unique features as they appear on the Wii U's main screen (and eventually mobiles and tablets).
Friends currently online will appear up as their respective Miis with speech bubbles displaying their current updates, messages and even pictures in real time.
He explained, "As the network grows and the installed base grows, it will prove to be a true killer application for the system, and I say this loving what we have done with Nintendo TVii and loving all the games. Until you try it and experience it, you may not totally understand it. People have to leave the current paradigm behind to understand what we are trying to do. Miiverse is going to be embedded right on the game platform, so literally some of the activity will be able to happen immediately as people experience it."
This echoes comments that Sony made about the 3G functionality of the PS Vita suggesting that you really needed to try it out in order to understand what you would get from it. All will be revealed when the Wii U finally arrives this November in the US then Europe.
- Microsoft announces the feature list for the November Xbox One update
- EA Sports patches in some more missing features for the next-gen versions of NHL 15
- Blizzard begins rolling out a new patch for Starcraft II
- Far Cry 4 Season Pass details announced
- Shinji Mikami: I never use women as objects in my games
- Microsoft releases the first trailer for Halo: Nightfall TV series, first episode to premiere at Halo Fanfest
- Silence – The Whispered World 2 announced for Xbox One
- Titanfall to get its very own Horde mode called Frontier Defense
- John Riccitiello joins Unity as their new CEO