BioWare exec believes co-founders left partially due to fan backlash
One of BioWare's executives has suggested that the retirement of co-founders Greg Zeschuk and Ray Muzyka was in part down to exhaustion due to fan backlash.
Trent Oster has floated his impression that the displeasure fans have been voicing over the ending of Mass Effect 3 and Star Wars: The Old Republic had left both BioWare's founding figureheads drained.
Oster intimated, "The last time I met up with [Greg], I felt his exhaustion 'Punch out, eject, get the hell out', was my suggestions to him and it hit closer to the mark than I had realised. I also think the Mass Effect 3 fan reaction and the Old Republic fans negativity was just too much."
"You have to love games and you put your heart into them to create them," he continued. "To have the fans creating petitions against the work is pretty hard to take, especially when you've spent the last few years crunching overtime to try and ship a game. It can be hard to shut off the overwhelming negativity the internet spews forth, especially when it has your name or the name of your company in it."
Ray Muzyka has come out on Twitter to respond to Oster's comments saying, "I respect/revere fans, because they speak with deep, honest passion. Journalists speculating on ill-founded rumors should reassess approach. Good websites demand clarity and credibility lesser ones enable ill-informed individuals to make stuff up about other people."
- October PS Plus Instant Game Collection line-up announced with Driveclub as a bonus
- Betas planned for every platform should ensure Battlefield: Hardline will work at launch
- Latest patch for Battlefield 4 fixes just about everything and unblocks your kitchen sink
- Warface gets updated with new maps and a few gameplay tweaks
- Platinum Games' Hideki Kamiya gives one final response to those begging for Bayonetta 2 to be released on PS4 and Xbox One
- Shadow Of Mordor devs not worried by the Assassin's Creed comparisons
- LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham heading to New York ComicCon 2014
- Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty gets brand new 'Old School' controls
- Bungie concedes that Destiny's storyline was recut less than a year from release