BioWare exec believes co-founders left partially due to fan backlash
One of BioWare's executives has suggested that the retirement of co-founders Greg Zeschuk and Ray Muzyka was in part down to exhaustion due to fan backlash.
Trent Oster has floated his impression that the displeasure fans have been voicing over the ending of Mass Effect 3 and Star Wars: The Old Republic had left both BioWare's founding figureheads drained.
Oster intimated, "The last time I met up with [Greg], I felt his exhaustion 'Punch out, eject, get the hell out', was my suggestions to him and it hit closer to the mark than I had realised. I also think the Mass Effect 3 fan reaction and the Old Republic fans negativity was just too much."
"You have to love games and you put your heart into them to create them," he continued. "To have the fans creating petitions against the work is pretty hard to take, especially when you've spent the last few years crunching overtime to try and ship a game. It can be hard to shut off the overwhelming negativity the internet spews forth, especially when it has your name or the name of your company in it."
Ray Muzyka has come out on Twitter to respond to Oster's comments saying, "I respect/revere fans, because they speak with deep, honest passion. Journalists speculating on ill-founded rumors should reassess approach. Good websites demand clarity and credibility lesser ones enable ill-informed individuals to make stuff up about other people."
- Shovel Knight arrives on PlayStation platforms this week
- Microsoft shows off Spartan Locke in action in Halo 5: Guardians
- Bethesda E3 press conference invites tease everything but Fallout 4
- New Mass Effect details possibly leaked in an online survey
- Phil Spencer promises a first-party-focused E3 offering from Microsoft
- Valve tackles phishing and scamming on Steam by requiring new users spend 5 USD to make use of all features
- Borderlands franchise director leaves Gearbox
- Blizzard announces a release date for Heroes Of The Storm and an open beta too
- Ultra Street Fighter IV coming to PS4 at the end of May