Cliff Bleszinski fancies making an open-world Unreal sequel
While the only current remaining vestiges of Epic's Unreal series are its name gracing their successful engine series and the 2008 release Unreal Tournament III, it seems Cliff Bleszinski hasn't forgotten where the name originally came from.
He has recently been musing over the original Unreal series and how he'd like to resurrect the title. One of the ideas he has come up with is to turn Unreal into an open world game a sci-fi Skyrim of sorts.
Bleszinski said recently on Reddit, "I was quoted recently on a Fortnite panel about the first Unreal and what a reboot might look like. Having really grown into a big Bethesda fan lately (Skyrim rocked my world) I couldn't help but wonder what a reboot of Unreal would be like if it was more 'SciFi-Rim'. Sure, there would be shooting involved, but exploration would almost be more important."
"Shooters and their sequels are a tricky beast," the Gears Of War creator continued. "Often you wind up upsetting your core whenever you make a sequel because sometimes you change things the users didn't want changed, or the users are so very in love with their memory of the original game that there's nothing you can do to live up to the first game. This happened with Counterstrike: Source, Quake 2, Unreal Tournament 2003, heck, even Halo 2."
For those with short memories Unreal first arrived way back in the mists of 1998 along with the very first iteration of the Unreal engine. Unreal follows the plight of Prisoner 849 who is the only survivor when her prison ship crashes on the alien planet of Na Pali and her battles with the vicious Skaarj are squeezing the planet dry of it supplies of a valuable natural resource called Tarydium.
- Valve's Chet Faliszek has been confirmed as the first developer session for EGX Rezzed 2015
- One area from Zelda Wii U is as big as the entirety of Skyward Sword
- Telltale's new collaboration is with Mojang, on a Minecraft story game
- Franklin voice actor indicates GTA V story DLC is on the way
- Red Dead Redemption, LA Noire and Bully sequels will come when the time is right says Rockstar
- Telltale teases another collaboration with another game developer
- New Company Of Heroes 2: Ardennes Assault trailer recognizes the 70th anniversary of the Battle of the Bulge
- New Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare trailer focuses on character customization
- Splash Damage's free-to-play shooter Dirty Bomb coming to Steam in the new year