Cliff Bleszinski fancies making an open-world Unreal sequel
While the only current remaining vestiges of Epic's Unreal series are its name gracing their successful engine series and the 2008 release Unreal Tournament III, it seems Cliff Bleszinski hasn't forgotten where the name originally came from.
He has recently been musing over the original Unreal series and how he'd like to resurrect the title. One of the ideas he has come up with is to turn Unreal into an open world game a sci-fi Skyrim of sorts.
Bleszinski said recently on Reddit, "I was quoted recently on a Fortnite panel about the first Unreal and what a reboot might look like. Having really grown into a big Bethesda fan lately (Skyrim rocked my world) I couldn't help but wonder what a reboot of Unreal would be like if it was more 'SciFi-Rim'. Sure, there would be shooting involved, but exploration would almost be more important."
"Shooters and their sequels are a tricky beast," the Gears Of War creator continued. "Often you wind up upsetting your core whenever you make a sequel because sometimes you change things the users didn't want changed, or the users are so very in love with their memory of the original game that there's nothing you can do to live up to the first game. This happened with Counterstrike: Source, Quake 2, Unreal Tournament 2003, heck, even Halo 2."
For those with short memories Unreal first arrived way back in the mists of 1998 along with the very first iteration of the Unreal engine. Unreal follows the plight of Prisoner 849 who is the only survivor when her prison ship crashes on the alien planet of Na Pali and her battles with the vicious Skaarj are squeezing the planet dry of it supplies of a valuable natural resource called Tarydium.
- EA to unveil Star Wars: Battlefront later on this month
- No 2015 launch for Zelda Wii U after all
- Konami continues to purge all references to Hideo Kojima with Silent Hills and Zone Of The Enders
- New Gears Of War title is Xbox One only
- Sony closes the door on PlayStation Home on last time
- StarCraft II: Legacy Of The Void beta invites go out today
- Final Fantasy XIV's first expansion Heavensward will launch in June
- Sony gives the full PS Plus line-up for April
- Before The Fall patch arrives for Final Fantasy XIV today