Capcom taking a gamble with Lost Planet 3 and Devil May Cry
Capcom's Mark Pattinson has admitted that they are taking a gamble with both Lost Planet 3 and their reboot of the Devil May Cry series.
Ninja Theory's reboot of the Devil May Cry series has caused a huge stir with its reimagining of Dante and the choice to do a Lost Planet sequel has been a big risk given how poorly Lost Planet 2 performed especially since they have entrusted the series to Spark Unlimited, a studio who's previous titles Legendary and Turning Point: Fall Of Liberty were both spectacular flops.
Pattinson began "There was an intention to try and bring Devil May Cry a little bit more up to date and make it more contemporary. We wanted to do something fresh and interesting with it as opposed to just doing a Devil May Cry 4 plus. Obviously we got criticised for certain decisions along that way but I think we hold true to the fact that we want to freshen up our franchises. The funny thing is, we get criticised if we stay the same way or if we make changes. I think the important thing is to maintain the DNA and maintain the assets of the franchise and that's there for all to see, for those who play it."
"Lost Planet was extremely important for us at a time where we looking to approach the Western market with content that would meet their needs but always with a Capcom twist," he added on the matter of Lost Planet 3. "When we launched Lost Planet 2, we tried to do something different, we wanted to bring multiplayer in there and it still sold reasonably well. It didn't necessarily get the critical acclaim we would have necessarily liked and thats why we took the decision to bring it back to it's heartland with Lost Planet 3 and do, for want of a better world, a prequel."
- Visuals are key to the PS4's success according to Nielsen's latest survey
- Sledgehammer considering revisiting classic multiplayer maps for Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare
- New ToeJam & Earl game comes to Kickstarter
- Free login campaign announced as Final Fantasy XIV tops 4 million registered users
- Fable Legends will be free-to-play on both PC and Xbox One
- Bastion will hit the PS4 in April
- Sierra bringing Velocity 2X to Xbox One and PC
- This month is a triple-A bonanza for Xbox gamers on Games With Gold
- New House Of Wolves leak shows a Reef social hub for Destiny