id holds all mobile development to focus all efforts on DOOM 4
At this year's QuakeCon id Software has revealed a bit of a bad news/good news situation.
The bad news is that they have decided to postpone all their development on mobile platforms. The good news however is that it is to focus all their efforts of getting DOOM 4 finished off.
Co-founder of the studio that defined the FPS genre, John Carmack explained, I love doing the mobile work - taking that time, spending a month, a year or something working on a mobile project. It was looked at as something that, yes, this is fun, this is fun for the company and it's entertaining and it makes money, but it's not a grand slam sort of thing on there. The Bethesda family really is about swinging for the fences."
"I hope we get back to mobile in various ways in the future, but the big real aim is blockbuster, AAA titles, and for id that means DOOM 4, it means that we get the whole company behind that after we get DOOM 3: BFG Edition out the door. Essentially, everybody will be focused on DOOM 4 as a project."
DOOM 3 BFG Editon will be released on PC, Xbox 360 and PS3 on October the 16th in the US and October 19th in Europe.
- Thomas Was Alone gets a release date for PS4 and Wii U
- New Warframe update adds space-flight to the gameplay with Archwing mode
- New poll indicates that people believe online gaming is “the least welcoming space” for women
- CD Projekt RED releases The Trail, the opening cinematic from The Witcher 3
- New Project CARS trailer pulls up to the starting grid
- Far Cry 4 dev says linear games will suffer in the new world of gameplay video sharing
- Almost 1,100 developers, students and journalists sign the new #gamediversity petition embracing diversity in games
- Felicia Day breaks her silence about #Gamergate, is almost immediately doxxed
- Ubisoft announces PC specs for Assassin's Creed: Unity and they're killer