Minecraft creator joins the ranks voicing concerns over Windows 8
Markus 'Notch' Persson, creator of Minecraft has been expressing concerns over the effects that Windos 8 could have on PC gaming.
Notch joins Valve's Gabe Newell and Blizzard's Rob Pardo in voicing genuine concern over Windows 8 posing a serious risk to the openness of the PC as a gaming platform.
Persson stressed, "If Microsoft decides to lock down Windows 8, it would be very, very bad for Indie games and competition in general. If we can keep open platforms around, there's going to be a lot of very interesting games in ten years, mixed in with the huge AAA games that we all love."
Windows 8 arrives on October the 26th of this year and while Microsoft has not given any great details in their new OS it is widely believed that the new OS has shifted far closer to the closedness seen in Xbox Live than any previous version of Windows.
- Big new update arrives for Frozen Cortex
- Introversion's Prison Architect will see its full launch this year, mobile version announced
- Ken Levine's next game is a first-person sci-fi title
- Battlefield: Hardline beta coming to all platforms next week
- Transistor and Yakuza 4 among February's PS Plus Instant Game Collection pickings
- Third and final Life Is Strange development diary arrives ahead of tomorrow's launch of episode one
- Nintendo shows profits despite the Wii U continuing to underperform
- Goetia demo is now live
- There's a whole load of LEGO games coming this year including LEGO Jurassic World