No Unreal Engine 4 support for the Wii U
The Wii U's hardcore gaming credentials have taken a bit of a hit with the latest news that it will not be supported by the next generation of Epic's ubiquitous Unreal Engine.
The Wii U will still support the phenomenally popular Unreal Engine 3 but Mike Capps, president of Epic Games is reported as saying as far back as the GDC in March that the Unreal Engine 4 will not support the Nintendo's new home console.
Unreal Engine 3 has become a mainstay of third-party development for studios not looking to take on the gargantuan task of coding their own engine from scratch and if Unreal Engine 4 manages to achieve the same kind of popularity then the Wii U could find itself struggling for third party support as the Wii has later on in its life.
Epic will be unveiling Unreal Engine 4 at this year's E3 just as Nintendo is showing off the finished version of the Wii U.
Thanks Develop Online.
- Next week's Destiny events detailed
- Swery65's D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die is out now on Xbox One
- Silent Hills could be an episodic title
- Thomas Was Alone is making the jump to the PS4
- Destiny helps give the PS4 a 300 percent sales kick
- New Yakuza 0 trailer shows off 1980s Japan
- Bloodborne's Western release date has been confirmed
- Classic WWII RTS action returns with Blitzkrieg 3
- Tetsuya Nomura leaves Final Fantasy XV to concentrate of Kingdom Hearts III