The Elder Scrolls Online to revive public dungeons
Bethesda has revealed that they will be reviving public dungeons in The Elder Scrolls Online.
The public dungeon is a throwback from the earliest days of MMO gaming and Bethesda has decided to bring them back in order to enhance the social experience in The Elder Scrolls Online.
The game's director Matt Firor explains, "If anybody's played MMOGs for a long time, they'll know that the very first generation had public dungeons. Public dungeons were my favourite thing about EverQuest, in fact, and I can't think of an MMOG since then that's had them. When you think back to the fun MMOG moments in the first generation, it's standing there, terrified, in an enclosed space, waiting for someone to come along and save you. We can't do that punitive gameplay that they did in those days, but we can put people together in places where they want to work with others."
"They're basically a space that's designed for people who are not grouped together to go into to fight," Firor continued. "It's a great place for people to connect with other players and they're very important to us, although we still have instanced private dungeons and end-game raid dungeons for groups of up to six players too. Each one of these public dungeons is soloable, however, and there are a lot of them, but they're also dangerous. Lots of creatures, very close together. Basically, if you solo it, you'll need to find a place to heal, and then you might find another player there who's exactly like you, and needs help, and then you can fall in together. You'll have met someone that, hopefully, you'll want to stick around with later on."
Thanks Edge Online.
- Riot Games in talks with European ISPs over building a dedicated League Of Legends network
- New 2-on-2 mode lands in Destiny's Crucible
- Second Life Is Strange developer diaries arrives, Reddit AMA planned for next week
- Destiny's Crota's End Raid beaten in 27 minutes on Hard Mode
- Techland to show off Dying Light's asymmetric multiplayer Be A Zombie mode tomorrow
- You won't need a new graphics card in order to use DirectX 12
- Dying Light physical launch outside North America coming end of February with free DLC for all
- Telltale's Game Of Thrones Episode 2 coming at the beginning of next month
- Sony unveils special edition Bloodborne PS4s for Japan