Valve's Gabe Newell makes cryptic references to Half-Life 3 development issues
The boss and co-founder of Valve, Gabe Newell has been making some slightly cryptic references to the reasons for Half-Life 3's very long delay.
Newell chose to refer to a project as 'Ricochet 2' while talking about developers wrestling with development issues that would drive fans more mad than their silence on the matter.
He explained, "In terms of Ricochet 2, we always have this problem that when we talk about things too far in advance. We end up changing our minds as we're going through and developing stuff, so as we're thinking through the giant story arc which is Ricochet 2, you might get to a point where you're saying something is surprising us in a positive way and something is surprising us in a negative way, and, you know, we'd like to be super-transparent about the future of Ricochet 2."
The problem is, Newell continued, "we think that the twists and turns that we're going through would probably drive people more crazy than just being silent about it, until we can be very crisp about what's happening next."
Although it is possible that this is in reference to the sequel to Ricochet, one of the first games ever released on Steam there are no indications that such a title is in development and it is much more likely that he is using it as a pseudonym for Half-Life 3.
Thanks Develop Online.
- Feminist Frequency's Anita Sarkeesian driven out of her home by internet abuse
- Shadow Realms lead writer talks the inspiration behind the game's story
- PlayStation Allstars and Joe Danger headline September's PS Plus Instant Game Collection
- Titanfall will ge more cool free stuff after the last DLC but Respawn won't support it indefinitely
- Gauntlet release date pushed back
- Yakuza Zero announced for PS4 and PS3
- Escape Dead Island gets a release date, comes with guaranteed access to the Dead Island 2 beta
- Diablo III: Reaper Of Souls PC patch 2.1.0 arrives
- Next-gen and PC GTA V versions rumoured to be delayed into 2015