Sony confirms the closure of Zipper Interactive
Sony has confirmed the closure of their military shooter specialist studio Zipper Interactive.
Rumours had emerged of the studio's closure as staff were reportedly receiving redundancy notices last week. 80 staff in all will lose their jobs with the closure of Zipper.
The studio's axing was confirmed by a farewell message on it's official Twitter account. It read, "After 17 years it's time to head off into the sunset. A sincere thank you to all our fans for everything you've done for us."
A statement delivered by Sony explained that the closure was "a result of a normal cycle of resource re-alignment within SCE WWS".
Over the course of its 17 year history Zipper has created the SOCOM franchise for Sony as well as working on more recent titles like the ambitious MAG and PS Vita title Unit 13. MAG, SOCOM 4 and Unit 13 will all continue to receive support.
Thanks Develop Online.
- The Iron Banner returns to Destiny next week
- Jason Voorhees DLC coming to Mortal Kombat X next month
- Square Enix announces their own E3 press conference
- Avalanche to reveal Just Cause 3's gameplay next week
- EA Sports Rory McIlroy PGA Tour delayed a touch
- Telltale announces a new deal with Marvel
- Sanctuary update arrives for Warframe on consoles
- Call Of Duty: Black Ops III gets another teaser trailer
- Patrice Desilets unveils his new game Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey