Sony confirms the closure of Zipper Interactive
Sony has confirmed the closure of their military shooter specialist studio Zipper Interactive.
Rumours had emerged of the studio's closure as staff were reportedly receiving redundancy notices last week. 80 staff in all will lose their jobs with the closure of Zipper.
The studio's axing was confirmed by a farewell message on it's official Twitter account. It read, "After 17 years it's time to head off into the sunset. A sincere thank you to all our fans for everything you've done for us."
A statement delivered by Sony explained that the closure was "a result of a normal cycle of resource re-alignment within SCE WWS".
Over the course of its 17 year history Zipper has created the SOCOM franchise for Sony as well as working on more recent titles like the ambitious MAG and PS Vita title Unit 13. MAG, SOCOM 4 and Unit 13 will all continue to receive support.
Thanks Develop Online.
- New Overwatch videos show off Hanzo and McCree
- Tychus loses his cigar for his appearance in Heroes Of The Storm
- Capcom details the Ultra Street Fighter IV PS4 upgrades
- Codemasters releases a teaser for F1 2015
- Total War: Arena gameplay unveiled
- Warner Bros bringing Batman's cowl and cape from Batman: Arkham Knight to MCM Comic-Con this weekend
- Red Thread gives an update on Dreamfall Chapters Book Three
- Sony releases a pretty 1080p gameplay video of God Of War III on PS4
- Techland shelves Hellraid to focus on Dying Light