Sony confirms the closure of Zipper Interactive
Sony has confirmed the closure of their military shooter specialist studio Zipper Interactive.
Rumours had emerged of the studio's closure as staff were reportedly receiving redundancy notices last week. 80 staff in all will lose their jobs with the closure of Zipper.
The studio's axing was confirmed by a farewell message on it's official Twitter account. It read, "After 17 years it's time to head off into the sunset. A sincere thank you to all our fans for everything you've done for us."
A statement delivered by Sony explained that the closure was "a result of a normal cycle of resource re-alignment within SCE WWS".
Over the course of its 17 year history Zipper has created the SOCOM franchise for Sony as well as working on more recent titles like the ambitious MAG and PS Vita title Unit 13. MAG, SOCOM 4 and Unit 13 will all continue to receive support.
Thanks Develop Online.
- Spa hotlap video arrives for F1 2014
- Phil Fish puts Polytron and Fez up for sale and quits Twitter after multiple hacks
- The Vanishing Of Ethan Carter gets a PC release date
- Sony schedules PSN maintenance for Monday
- Warframe update 14 hits PS4 as it closes in on 10 million registered users
- Bungie releases the official Destiny launch gameplay trailer
- Codemasters releases a new Austria hotlap video for F1 2014
- Eden Hazard joins Lionel Messi on the cover of FIFA 15
- PS Vita getting a five-game Adventure Mega Pack hardware bundle