Sony confirms the closure of Zipper Interactive
Sony has confirmed the closure of their military shooter specialist studio Zipper Interactive.
Rumours had emerged of the studio's closure as staff were reportedly receiving redundancy notices last week. 80 staff in all will lose their jobs with the closure of Zipper.
The studio's axing was confirmed by a farewell message on it's official Twitter account. It read, "After 17 years it's time to head off into the sunset. A sincere thank you to all our fans for everything you've done for us."
A statement delivered by Sony explained that the closure was "a result of a normal cycle of resource re-alignment within SCE WWS".
Over the course of its 17 year history Zipper has created the SOCOM franchise for Sony as well as working on more recent titles like the ambitious MAG and PS Vita title Unit 13. MAG, SOCOM 4 and Unit 13 will all continue to receive support.
Thanks Develop Online.
- Visuals are key to the PS4's success according to Nielsen's latest survey
- Sledgehammer considering revisiting classic multiplayer maps for Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare
- New ToeJam & Earl game comes to Kickstarter
- Free login campaign announced as Final Fantasy XIV tops 4 million registered users
- Fable Legends will be free-to-play on both PC and Xbox One
- Bastion will hit the PS4 in April
- Sierra bringing Velocity 2X to Xbox One and PC
- This month is a triple-A bonanza for Xbox gamers on Games With Gold
- New House Of Wolves leak shows a Reef social hub for Destiny