Sony confirms the closure of Zipper Interactive
Sony has confirmed the closure of their military shooter specialist studio Zipper Interactive.
Rumours had emerged of the studio's closure as staff were reportedly receiving redundancy notices last week. 80 staff in all will lose their jobs with the closure of Zipper.
The studio's axing was confirmed by a farewell message on it's official Twitter account. It read, "After 17 years it's time to head off into the sunset. A sincere thank you to all our fans for everything you've done for us."
A statement delivered by Sony explained that the closure was "a result of a normal cycle of resource re-alignment within SCE WWS".
Over the course of its 17 year history Zipper has created the SOCOM franchise for Sony as well as working on more recent titles like the ambitious MAG and PS Vita title Unit 13. MAG, SOCOM 4 and Unit 13 will all continue to receive support.
Thanks Develop Online.
- New Titanfall update adds Titan-free combat gameplay mode
- OnLive coming to Philips' new range fo Android-powered smart TVs
- Explore the rest of the solar system with Google's Destiny Planet View
- Dead Or Alive 5: Last Round coming to next-gen consoles
- Voting opens up for GamesAid's charity of 2014
- Nintendo promising a good 2015 with Zelda, Star Fox and Splatoon coming to Wii U
- Warframe comes to Xbox One today
- Over 2000 developers sign an open letter calling for the community to take a stand against harassment
- Classic PC survival horror series returns with Alone In The Dark: Illumination