Microsoft dropped 100 million USD on designing the Xbox One controller
It appears that Microsoft may have spent a considerable amount of money to research and develop the controller on Xbox One.
The new controller for the Xbox One is a refinement of the popular Xbox 360 controller with over 40 advancements and refinements over it's predecessor including haptic feedback triggers and more responsive thumbsticks.
Xbox GM for accessories Zulfi Alam said, "I don't want to go into specifics but it's over 100 million USD for sure. Between the tooling of the device, the investments we made in process technology, and the engineering work that went into it, we invested a lot to get this thing right."
"No, it's not a drop in the bucket," Alam added. "For any company, when you spend that much money, you have to make sure that the output is amazing. This team bet its careers on this."
Before settling on the design that comes with the Xbox One they examined a whole host of crazy options from screens, speakers, microphones, touchpads, cameras and even an odd odour-emitting function.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III is coming to the PS3 and Xbox 360 after all
- Tomonobu Itagaki's Devil's Third gets a release date
- Adr1ft is coming to PC and consoles at the end of the summer
- EA gives the new Mirror's Edge a name – Mirror's Edge Catalyst
- ZombiU PS4 and Xbox One port reportedly in the works
- Mike Bithell's Volume to be released this August
- Gearbox's new shooter Battleborn gets a pre-E3 trailer
- Steam Controller launches in October, Steam Machines arrive in November
- Gears Of War devs Black Tusk change their name to The Coalition ahead of E3