PSN unshackled for Dust 514
Sony has removed all the PSN restrictions for CCP's new online shooter Dust 514's arrival on the PS3 later this year.
As a fully online game Dust 514 requires constant updates, something not allowed by PlayStation Network's standard restrictions.
Executive producer on Dust 514, CCP's Brandon Laurino said, "We have complete ability to service and update the game as much as needed."
"Relaxed is not even the word - they have 'removed'. Together we've worked to identify all the barriers that need to be removed to properly operate a service such as this on a console. We have complete ability to service and update the game as much as needed," Laurino added.
Currently the removal of PSN regulations applies only to Dust 514 although CCP are hoping that success for the game will prompt an evolution in the way consoles operate online.
The CCP exec added, "Certainly the intention here is to evolve the whole console business model, and we're doing it in a way where it's not just specific to us necessarily. This was very much an evolution and learning exercise for them as much as us."
Dust 514 will arrive on the PS3 this summer becoming the first ever online console game that will have an effect on a PC MMO with events in its sister title, EVE Online, also shaping events in Dust 514.
- Classic PC survival horror series returns with Alone In The Dark: Illumination
- Resident Evil: Revelations 2 confirmed with a concept trailer
- Xbox One owners, Destiny wants to eat your hard drive
- Saints Row IV modding tools released for PC
- Volition's Steve Jaros: Sarkeesian was right to call out Saints Row
- Playable Silent Hill teaser P.T. downloaded 1 million times
- Blooborne gets a Japanese release date
- Rockstar says no delay to next-gen GTA V, November release date rumoured
- Harmonix announces A City Sleeps, their new music-driven shooter