Cell not powering the PlayStation 4?
It has been suggested that they recent rumours surrounding AMD's involvement in the development of Sony's new home console may indicate that Sony has abandoned their Cell processor architecture.
Sources have told Kotaku that the Sony's next home console will be powered by a new processor designed by AMD and it will not be based on the Cell technology that powers the PS3.
Last year Sony sold the Cell processor technology to IBM although at the time IBM stated that they would be providing the processors to power all of the next generation of home consoles.
If the rumours about Sony abandoning Cell are true then it may be the case that the PS4 will feature integrated architecture with the graphics and processor on one chip with AMD's Radeon architecture powering the graphics.
- Techland announces a Dying Light modding contest alongside new updates for the toolset
- 2K announces the Evolve Proving Grounds tournament in conjunction with ESL
- Broken Age: Part 2 arrives for backers 24 hours ahead of the full launch
- Halo Championship Series Cup 1 cancelled due to continued online problems
- Dirt Rally announced as a PC exclusive, hits Steam Early Access
- PC benchmarking app arrives for Final Fantasy XIV players to make sure they can run Heavensward
- [UPDATE] Hideo Kojima and Guillermo Del Toro collaboration Silent Hills looks like it has been canned
- Gears Of War Xbox One remaster looks like it's coming
- Batman: Arkham Knight will have GTA V-style character switching