Cell not powering the PlayStation 4?
It has been suggested that they recent rumours surrounding AMD's involvement in the development of Sony's new home console may indicate that Sony has abandoned their Cell processor architecture.
Sources have told Kotaku that the Sony's next home console will be powered by a new processor designed by AMD and it will not be based on the Cell technology that powers the PS3.
Last year Sony sold the Cell processor technology to IBM although at the time IBM stated that they would be providing the processors to power all of the next generation of home consoles.
If the rumours about Sony abandoning Cell are true then it may be the case that the PS4 will feature integrated architecture with the graphics and processor on one chip with AMD's Radeon architecture powering the graphics.
- Hearthstone win-traders will be permanently banned says Blizzard
- Evolve Big Alpha delayed on PS4 due to issues with system update 2.0
- Your PC will need this much power under the hood to play The Crew
- LittleBigPlanet 3 will be fully backwards-compatible
- PS4 sales soar past the 13.5 million mark
- Resogun is coming to the PS Vita
- Smaller, cooler Xbox One processor in the works
- Prey 2 finally gets officially canned
- SEGA confirms the rumoured PC version Valkyria Chronicles, gives a release date