Newell explains the silence over Half-Life 3
It has been almost eight years since Half-Life 2 arrived on the PC and around four and a half years since Episode 2 appeared so what exactly is going on with the Half-Life series?
Valve founder, Gabe Newell has attempted to address this question in a recent interview, albeit without actually giving anything away. He explained that the main reason for not talking about the game is to help manage fans' expectations essentially to avoid disappointment over potential delays.
He explained, "We're acutely aware of how much we annoy our fans and it's pretty frustrating to us when we put them into that situation. We try to go as fast as we can and we try to pick the things that we think are going to be most valuable to our customers and if there's some magic way we can get more work done in a day then we'd love to hear about it. Part of the reason that we backed off talking so much about what was happening in the future is that when we've done that in the past, you know, with Half Life 1 it was a year after we originally said it would be."
"With Half Life 2 basically if you go and read the forum posts it apparently took us fifty or sixty years to get done," Newell continued, "so we're trying to be careful not to get people too excited and then have to go and disappoint them. So we're sort of reacting in the other direction and saying 'okay, well let's have things a little more baked before we start getting people all excited about it.'"
We hope that the wait for Half-Life 3 will be worth it.
Thanks Penny Arcade.
- New Overwatch videos show off Hanzo and McCree
- Tychus loses his cigar for his appearance in Heroes Of The Storm
- Capcom details the Ultra Street Fighter IV PS4 upgrades
- Codemasters releases a teaser for F1 2015
- Total War: Arena gameplay unveiled
- Warner Bros bringing Batman's cowl and cape from Batman: Arkham Knight to MCM Comic-Con this weekend
- Red Thread gives an update on Dreamfall Chapters Book Three
- Sony releases a pretty 1080p gameplay video of God Of War III on PS4
- Techland shelves Hellraid to focus on Dying Light