Kaz Hirai is not the new Sony CEO? Actually, he is
Last month, it was rumoured that Kaz Hirai had been named as successor to Howard Stringer as the CEO and president of Sony. These rumours were vehemently denied.
Today Sony has named Kaz Hirai as the new CEO and president of the company effective from the 1st of April.
Stringer said of his successor, "Kaz is a globally focused executive for whom technology and the cloud are familiar territory, content is highly valued, and digital transformation is second nature. I believe his tough-mindedness and leadership skills will be of great benefit to the company and its customers in the months and years ahead. I look forward to helping Kaz in every way I can so that succession leads inevitably to success. It was my honor to recommend him to the Board for the positions of president and CEO, because he is ready to lead, and the time to make this change is now."
Hirai's appointment should signal interesting times for Sony especially on the PlayStation front given the long time he spent with Sony Computer Entertainment.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III is coming to the PS3 and Xbox 360 after all
- Tomonobu Itagaki's Devil's Third gets a release date
- Adr1ft is coming to PC and consoles at the end of the summer
- EA gives the new Mirror's Edge a name – Mirror's Edge Catalyst
- ZombiU PS4 and Xbox One port reportedly in the works
- Mike Bithell's Volume to be released this August
- Gearbox's new shooter Battleborn gets a pre-E3 trailer
- Steam Controller launches in October, Steam Machines arrive in November
- Gears Of War devs Black Tusk change their name to The Coalition ahead of E3