Kaz Hirai is not the new Sony CEO? Actually, he is
Last month, it was rumoured that Kaz Hirai had been named as successor to Howard Stringer as the CEO and president of Sony. These rumours were vehemently denied.
Today Sony has named Kaz Hirai as the new CEO and president of the company effective from the 1st of April.
Stringer said of his successor, "Kaz is a globally focused executive for whom technology and the cloud are familiar territory, content is highly valued, and digital transformation is second nature. I believe his tough-mindedness and leadership skills will be of great benefit to the company and its customers in the months and years ahead. I look forward to helping Kaz in every way I can so that succession leads inevitably to success. It was my honor to recommend him to the Board for the positions of president and CEO, because he is ready to lead, and the time to make this change is now."
Hirai's appointment should signal interesting times for Sony especially on the PlayStation front given the long time he spent with Sony Computer Entertainment.
- Bungie explains their latest weapon balancing efforts in Destiny, promises more is coming
- Blizzard aiming to release Hearthstone on Android tablets by the end of the year
- Former BioWare man Casey Hudson hints at an Oculus Rift project
- Dark Souls on PC to switch from Games For Windows Live to Steam next month
- Square Enix announces details and pricing on the premium livestream of Final Fantasy XIV Fan Festival 2014
- First Challenge Mode DLC arrives next week for Alien: Isolation
- Metallica to close out this year's BlizzCon
- Free DLC adds a new skin and runes to Shadow Of Mordor
- ESL Gaming app arrives for the Xbox One