Levine lets voice actors adlib to help with script writing
BioShock Infinity creator Ken Levine has encouraged developers to let their voice actors adlib to help with script writing.
Levine has revealed that, with BioShock Infinite, he encouraged the voice actors Troy Baker and Courtnee Draper, the voices of Booker and Elizabeth DeWitt, to riff around the script once they'd got down what he'd written.
The Irrational boss explained: "Before the session I'm at home writing our scripts... but I'm not really leveraging the best talent we have if I go in inflexibly. So, I try to go in quite flexibly, and I usually go in and get what I know I need. I get what's on paper. And then I say 'Well, let's try something else,' or Troy or Courtney pipe up and say 'Hey, what if we did this?' I think it's foolish of me not to embrace that."
Levine gives an example: "There is one sequence in the game, where I hadn't written it at all, and I sat down with them in Seattle, and I said, 'Look, this is a scene I'm having a problem with. What do you guys think about this?' And they were very, very helpful in helping me think about that scene. I had a rough outline for it, but there was an executional issue of how we'd actually do it, and I won't talk about it now because I don't want to spoil anything. But they were very, very helpful, and now I've gone off and I've written that, and they're going to come out next week for a recording session, and we're going to do some work on that scene."
BioShock Infinite is due out on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC later this year.
- Valve's Chet Faliszek has been confirmed as the first developer session for EGX Rezzed 2015
- One area from Zelda Wii U is as big as the entirety of Skyward Sword
- Telltale's new collaboration is with Mojang, on a Minecraft story game
- Franklin voice actor indicates GTA V story DLC is on the way
- Red Dead Redemption, LA Noire and Bully sequels will come when the time is right says Rockstar
- Telltale teases another collaboration with another game developer
- New Company Of Heroes 2: Ardennes Assault trailer recognizes the 70th anniversary of the Battle of the Bulge
- New Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare trailer focuses on character customization
- Splash Damage's free-to-play shooter Dirty Bomb coming to Steam in the new year