Levine lets voice actors adlib to help with script writing
BioShock Infinity creator Ken Levine has encouraged developers to let their voice actors adlib to help with script writing.
Levine has revealed that, with BioShock Infinite, he encouraged the voice actors Troy Baker and Courtnee Draper, the voices of Booker and Elizabeth DeWitt, to riff around the script once they'd got down what he'd written.
The Irrational boss explained: "Before the session I'm at home writing our scripts... but I'm not really leveraging the best talent we have if I go in inflexibly. So, I try to go in quite flexibly, and I usually go in and get what I know I need. I get what's on paper. And then I say 'Well, let's try something else,' or Troy or Courtney pipe up and say 'Hey, what if we did this?' I think it's foolish of me not to embrace that."
Levine gives an example: "There is one sequence in the game, where I hadn't written it at all, and I sat down with them in Seattle, and I said, 'Look, this is a scene I'm having a problem with. What do you guys think about this?' And they were very, very helpful in helping me think about that scene. I had a rough outline for it, but there was an executional issue of how we'd actually do it, and I won't talk about it now because I don't want to spoil anything. But they were very, very helpful, and now I've gone off and I've written that, and they're going to come out next week for a recording session, and we're going to do some work on that scene."
BioShock Infinite is due out on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC later this year.
- Hearthstone win-traders will be permanently banned says Blizzard
- Evolve Big Alpha delayed on PS4 due to issues with system update 2.0
- Your PC will need this much power under the hood to play The Crew
- LittleBigPlanet 3 will be fully backwards-compatible
- PS4 sales soar past the 13.5 million mark
- Resogun is coming to the PS Vita
- Smaller, cooler Xbox One processor in the works
- Prey 2 finally gets officially canned
- SEGA confirms the rumoured PC version Valkyria Chronicles, gives a release date