Levine lets voice actors adlib to help with script writing
BioShock Infinity creator Ken Levine has encouraged developers to let their voice actors adlib to help with script writing.
Levine has revealed that, with BioShock Infinite, he encouraged the voice actors Troy Baker and Courtnee Draper, the voices of Booker and Elizabeth DeWitt, to riff around the script once they'd got down what he'd written.
The Irrational boss explained: "Before the session I'm at home writing our scripts... but I'm not really leveraging the best talent we have if I go in inflexibly. So, I try to go in quite flexibly, and I usually go in and get what I know I need. I get what's on paper. And then I say 'Well, let's try something else,' or Troy or Courtney pipe up and say 'Hey, what if we did this?' I think it's foolish of me not to embrace that."
Levine gives an example: "There is one sequence in the game, where I hadn't written it at all, and I sat down with them in Seattle, and I said, 'Look, this is a scene I'm having a problem with. What do you guys think about this?' And they were very, very helpful in helping me think about that scene. I had a rough outline for it, but there was an executional issue of how we'd actually do it, and I won't talk about it now because I don't want to spoil anything. But they were very, very helpful, and now I've gone off and I've written that, and they're going to come out next week for a recording session, and we're going to do some work on that scene."
BioShock Infinite is due out on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC later this year.
- Resident Evil: Revelations 2 confirmed with a concept trailer
- Xbox One owners, Destiny wants to eat your hard drive
- Saints Row IV modding tools released for PC
- Volition's Steve Jaros: Sarkeesian was right to call out Saints Row
- Playable Silent Hill teaser P.T. downloaded 1 million times
- Blooborne gets a Japanese release date
- Rockstar says no delay to next-gen GTA V, November release date rumoured
- Harmonix announces A City Sleeps, their new music-driven shooter
- Shadow Of Mordor trailer introduces the unique orc character, Ratbag