Star Trek Online to go free-to-play next week
Cryptic has revealed their plans to offer Star Trek Online as a free-to-play MMO beginning next week.
The existing subscription model will continue to operate alongside the free-to-play option with subscribers becoming Gold members and getting additional features over the Silver free-to-play members.
Using a new virtual currency, Cryptic points, Silver players will be able to add bridge officers, re-spec their characters and pick up premium ships. Silver players will also have limited access to features like Fleet creation, in-game chat and mail, forums and customer service access compared with Gold players. Veteran awards and priority login will be restricted to Gold members only.
Star Trek Online will go free-to-play from January the 17th with Silver membership opening up to lapsed subscribers as well as new players.
- New Assassin's Creed: Unity patch is a bit on the large side
- Wonder what Zombie mode looks like for Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare? Here's a trailer
- Xbox 360 Titanfall players getting a massive update next week
- Ubisoft pulls the Assassin's Creed: Unity Season Pass, offering free DLC and games to apologize for the problems with the game
- Dark Souls migration over to Steam delayed into next month now
- Sony to give partial refunds to PS Vita early adopters over misleading launch advertising
- And here's the goodies that Games With Gold will get you in December
- Nival announces beta access and a massive gun for pre-ordering Blitzkrieg 3
- Evolve developers promise that all map DLC will be free