Star Trek Online to go free-to-play next week
Cryptic has revealed their plans to offer Star Trek Online as a free-to-play MMO beginning next week.
The existing subscription model will continue to operate alongside the free-to-play option with subscribers becoming Gold members and getting additional features over the Silver free-to-play members.
Using a new virtual currency, Cryptic points, Silver players will be able to add bridge officers, re-spec their characters and pick up premium ships. Silver players will also have limited access to features like Fleet creation, in-game chat and mail, forums and customer service access compared with Gold players. Veteran awards and priority login will be restricted to Gold members only.
Star Trek Online will go free-to-play from January the 17th with Silver membership opening up to lapsed subscribers as well as new players.
- Metallica to close out this year's BlizzCon
- Free DLC adds a new skin and runes to Shadow Of Mordor
- ESL Gaming app arrives for the Xbox One
- Indie dev threatens Gabe Newell after a minor error at his game's Steam launch, game gets pulled from Steam
- Trine series sells 7 million copies, Frozenbyte releases user-creation tools
- Lots of teary-eyed gamers as more Star Wars: Battlefront 3 gameplay footage leaks out
- Jade Raymond leaves Ubisoft Toronto to pursue new opportunities
- Ryse: Son Of Rome scores Best Game Design award at the Animago Awards in Germany
- Activision releases the launch trailer for Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare a little early