Star Trek Online to go free-to-play next week
Cryptic has revealed their plans to offer Star Trek Online as a free-to-play MMO beginning next week.
The existing subscription model will continue to operate alongside the free-to-play option with subscribers becoming Gold members and getting additional features over the Silver free-to-play members.
Using a new virtual currency, Cryptic points, Silver players will be able to add bridge officers, re-spec their characters and pick up premium ships. Silver players will also have limited access to features like Fleet creation, in-game chat and mail, forums and customer service access compared with Gold players. Veteran awards and priority login will be restricted to Gold members only.
Star Trek Online will go free-to-play from January the 17th with Silver membership opening up to lapsed subscribers as well as new players.
- Report finds that the 100 USD tier of Assassin's Creed: Unity's microtransactions is completely unnecessary
- Final Fantasy Type-0 HD gets a new trailer
- Bungie deconstructs their latest Destiny patch, hints at what is coming next
- DayZ creator Dean Hall could join UK studio Improbable
- Shadow Of Mordor arrives on last-gen consoles
- David Braben apologises for ditching Elite: Dangerous's offline mode, outlines refund criteria
- Microsoft celebrates the 1st birthday of the Xbox One with free access to Sunset Overdrive
- Hacker group leaks account details for thousands of PSN, Origin, Windows Live and 2K Game Studios accounts
- RedLynx promises online multiplayer is coming to Trials Fusion early next year