3DS skips past the 4 million sales milestone
Nintendo's new 3D handheld has enjoyed a very good Christmas period helping it to reach the very decent 4 million units sales milestone.
A strong Christmas software lineup did plenty to help the 3DS get there with the release of both Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 spurring on sales. In the US both titles also became the first 3DS titles to sell 1 million copies.
Nintendo of America's VP of sales and marketing, Scott Moffit said: "One of the strongest software lineups in our history helped Nintendo have a great holiday season and to close 2011 with a full head of steam. Not only have the new Mario and Zelda titles already broken records, but with strong reviews and satisfied customers sharing their positive experiences, all three are also shaping up to be the latest long-tail titles from Nintendo. Couple that with a massive first- and third party lineup in the first part of the year and the prospects for 2012 are extremely promising."
Nintendo is promising just as much in 2012 with Mario Party, Pokemon and Kid Icarus titles due out from their own studios as well as third party releases like Resident Evil: Revelations and the long-awaited Metal Gear Solid 3D: Snake Eater.
- The Vanishing Of Ethan Carter gets a PC release date
- Sony schedules PSN maintenance for Monday
- Warframe update 14 hits PS4 as it closes in on 10 million registered users
- Bungie releases the official Destiny launch gameplay trailer
- Codemasters releases a new Austria hotlap video for F1 2014
- Eden Hazard joins Lionel Messi on the cover of FIFA 15
- PS Vita getting a five-game Adventure Mega Pack hardware bundle
- Lords Of The Fallen has “a steep learning curve”
- PS4 trailer arrives for Dreamfall Chapters, and some screenshots too