Steam helps APB Reloaded to pass 3 million users
Steam has helped the revived MMO action title APB Reloaded to pass the 3 million registered users mark.
The jump to free-to-play has seen the fortunes of APB turn around rapidly after it was believed to be well and truly dead when its creators, Scottish studio Realtime Worlds went into administration not long after the game originally launched.
To accompany it's already-impressive success the APB's new publishers GamersFirst are also releasing a retail version of the game which contains 50 USD worth of content including in-game items through GameStop, Best Buy, Target and Wal-Mart for around 29.99 USD.
Marketing boss for GamersFirst Rahul Sandil said: "We recognized the potential for APB Reloaded to be a true breakout hit in the Free2Play category all through beta testing. We quickly amassed a vocal, dedicated community, and they've been instrumental in growing the game and helping better the experience. We also attracted a partner in [a]list games, a digital game market maker who launched a worldwide campaign to raise the games visibility and help it appeal to a broader audience. Ultimately, players who discover a new free game decide if there's enough value and quality to keep playing, and APB Reloaded's trajectory tells us a growing number are being blown away by what theyre getting."
- Thomas Was Alone gets a release date for PS4 and Wii U
- New Warframe update adds space-flight to the gameplay with Archwing mode
- New poll indicates that people believe online gaming is “the least welcoming space” for women
- CD Projekt RED releases The Trail, the opening cinematic from The Witcher 3
- New Project CARS trailer pulls up to the starting grid
- Far Cry 4 dev says linear games will suffer in the new world of gameplay video sharing
- Almost 1,100 developers, students and journalists sign the new #gamediversity petition embracing diversity in games
- Felicia Day breaks her silence about #Gamergate, is almost immediately doxxed
- Ubisoft announces PC specs for Assassin's Creed: Unity and they're killer