Aion joins the march towards free-to-play MMO gaming
NCSoft's epic fantasy MMO Aion has become the latest big online title to ditch the subscription model and go free-to-play.
From February 2012 Aion will join the likes of Age of Conan, DC Universe Online and its comic-book stablemate City of Heroes in becoming free-to-play.
The European relaunch will be conducted in partnership with German-based MMO publisher Gameforge and will begin with the UK, France and Germany.
NCSoft hope that the free-to-play launch and partnership with Gameforge will help introduce more players to the massive world of Atreia which has expanded steadily since Aion launched in 2009.
- Hearthstone win-traders will be permanently banned says Blizzard
- Evolve Big Alpha delayed on PS4 due to issues with system update 2.0
- Your PC will need this much power under the hood to play The Crew
- LittleBigPlanet 3 will be fully backwards-compatible
- PS4 sales soar past the 13.5 million mark
- Resogun is coming to the PS Vita
- Smaller, cooler Xbox One processor in the works
- Prey 2 finally gets officially canned
- SEGA confirms the rumoured PC version Valkyria Chronicles, gives a release date