Aion joins the march towards free-to-play MMO gaming
NCSoft's epic fantasy MMO Aion has become the latest big online title to ditch the subscription model and go free-to-play.
From February 2012 Aion will join the likes of Age of Conan, DC Universe Online and its comic-book stablemate City of Heroes in becoming free-to-play.
The European relaunch will be conducted in partnership with German-based MMO publisher Gameforge and will begin with the UK, France and Germany.
NCSoft hope that the free-to-play launch and partnership with Gameforge will help introduce more players to the massive world of Atreia which has expanded steadily since Aion launched in 2009.
- Visuals are key to the PS4's success according to Nielsen's latest survey
- Sledgehammer considering revisiting classic multiplayer maps for Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare
- New ToeJam & Earl game comes to Kickstarter
- Free login campaign announced as Final Fantasy XIV tops 4 million registered users
- Fable Legends will be free-to-play on both PC and Xbox One
- Bastion will hit the PS4 in April
- Sierra bringing Velocity 2X to Xbox One and PC
- This month is a triple-A bonanza for Xbox gamers on Games With Gold
- New House Of Wolves leak shows a Reef social hub for Destiny