Aion joins the march towards free-to-play MMO gaming
NCSoft's epic fantasy MMO Aion has become the latest big online title to ditch the subscription model and go free-to-play.
From February 2012 Aion will join the likes of Age of Conan, DC Universe Online and its comic-book stablemate City of Heroes in becoming free-to-play.
The European relaunch will be conducted in partnership with German-based MMO publisher Gameforge and will begin with the UK, France and Germany.
NCSoft hope that the free-to-play launch and partnership with Gameforge will help introduce more players to the massive world of Atreia which has expanded steadily since Aion launched in 2009.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III is coming to the PS3 and Xbox 360 after all
- Tomonobu Itagaki's Devil's Third gets a release date
- Adr1ft is coming to PC and consoles at the end of the summer
- EA gives the new Mirror's Edge a name – Mirror's Edge Catalyst
- ZombiU PS4 and Xbox One port reportedly in the works
- Mike Bithell's Volume to be released this August
- Gearbox's new shooter Battleborn gets a pre-E3 trailer
- Steam Controller launches in October, Steam Machines arrive in November
- Gears Of War devs Black Tusk change their name to The Coalition ahead of E3