Feminist Frequency's Anita Sarkeesian driven out of her home by internet abuse
Anita Sarkeesian, the creator of Feminist Frequency's Tropes vs Women In Games series has been forced out of her home by the latest round of abuse and threats she has received over the internet.
Sarkeesian has been the target of some pretty horrendous abuse since launching her video series which highlights the more sexist treatment of women in games but the latest torrent prompted by her latest video took a decidedly distasteful twist.
She wrote on Twitter last night, "Some very scary threats have just been made against me and my family. Contacting authorities now."
This abuse was so bad that after contacting the authorities she sought refuge at a friend's house. "I'm safe,” she later tweeted. “Authorities have been notified. Staying with friends tonight. I'm not giving up. But this harassment of women in tech must stop!"
Her latest video, which is embedded above, focuses on the use of Women As Background Decoration and how sexually objectified women are often used by developers to add the sense of edginess or grittiness in game worlds. The video has been praised by numerous folks around the industry including development legend Tim Schafer who shared it on his personal Twitter account.
- Eden Hazard shows off some of his new skill moves from FIFA 15
- Assassin's Creed: Unity Season Pass comes with a 2.5D standalone adventure set in China
- Saints Row IV modders create a new weapon skin for the Alien SMG in honour of Steve Jaros' departure
- PlayStation TV gets a release date for Europe and the US
- Driveclub gets a white PS4 hardware bundle
- Sony offering up a free online multiplayer weekend on PS4 this weekend
- Sledgehammer promises a reveal of Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare co-op mode soon
- Former New York mayor Rudi Juliani to represent Activision in the Manuel Noriega Call of Duty: Black Ops II lawsuit
- Next week's Destiny events detailed