Feminist Frequency's Anita Sarkeesian driven out of her home by internet abuse
Anita Sarkeesian, the creator of Feminist Frequency's Tropes vs Women In Games series has been forced out of her home by the latest round of abuse and threats she has received over the internet.
Sarkeesian has been the target of some pretty horrendous abuse since launching her video series which highlights the more sexist treatment of women in games but the latest torrent prompted by her latest video took a decidedly distasteful twist.
She wrote on Twitter last night, "Some very scary threats have just been made against me and my family. Contacting authorities now."
This abuse was so bad that after contacting the authorities she sought refuge at a friend's house. "I'm safe,” she later tweeted. “Authorities have been notified. Staying with friends tonight. I'm not giving up. But this harassment of women in tech must stop!"
Her latest video, which is embedded above, focuses on the use of Women As Background Decoration and how sexually objectified women are often used by developers to add the sense of edginess or grittiness in game worlds. The video has been praised by numerous folks around the industry including development legend Tim Schafer who shared it on his personal Twitter account.
- Dark Souls 2 could see a fourth pack of DLC released
- Far Cry 4 is all about player choice, has five endings
- Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare PC system specifications announced
- Evolution adds more multiplayer events to Driveclub as they continue to work on the game's server issues
- Rockstar announces a San Andreas 10th Anniversary event this weekend for GTA Online
- Dead Or Alive 5: Last Round gets a release date
- Unfinished Swan to hit the PS4 and PS Vita next week
- Gamersgate.com CEO emphasizes that they have nothing to do with #Gamergate
- Microsoft announces the feature list for the November Xbox One update