Feminist Frequency's Anita Sarkeesian driven out of her home by internet abuse
Anita Sarkeesian, the creator of Feminist Frequency's Tropes vs Women In Games series has been forced out of her home by the latest round of abuse and threats she has received over the internet.
Sarkeesian has been the target of some pretty horrendous abuse since launching her video series which highlights the more sexist treatment of women in games but the latest torrent prompted by her latest video took a decidedly distasteful twist.
She wrote on Twitter last night, "Some very scary threats have just been made against me and my family. Contacting authorities now."
This abuse was so bad that after contacting the authorities she sought refuge at a friend's house. "I'm safe,” she later tweeted. “Authorities have been notified. Staying with friends tonight. I'm not giving up. But this harassment of women in tech must stop!"
Her latest video, which is embedded above, focuses on the use of Women As Background Decoration and how sexually objectified women are often used by developers to add the sense of edginess or grittiness in game worlds. The video has been praised by numerous folks around the industry including development legend Tim Schafer who shared it on his personal Twitter account.
- Stephen Colbert deconstructs #Gamergate last night with guest Anita Sarkeesian
- First Nosgoth eSports tournament to begin next month
- Stealth Inc 2 trailer peeks it head out of the shadows
- The Crew beta launches on PS4 and Xbox One next week
- PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of Dying Light cancelled, Techland describes their development as painful
- Sony investigating issues resulting from the release of PS4 firmware 2.0
- New trailer makes Final Fantasy Type-0 HD look like the darkest Final Fantasy game yet
- Screenshot on the PlayStation Blog points to an Uncharted re-release on PS4
- EA gives a release window for Star Wars: Battlefront