Feminist Frequency's Anita Sarkeesian driven out of her home by internet abuse
Anita Sarkeesian, the creator of Feminist Frequency's Tropes vs Women In Games series has been forced out of her home by the latest round of abuse and threats she has received over the internet.
Sarkeesian has been the target of some pretty horrendous abuse since launching her video series which highlights the more sexist treatment of women in games but the latest torrent prompted by her latest video took a decidedly distasteful twist.
She wrote on Twitter last night, "Some very scary threats have just been made against me and my family. Contacting authorities now."
This abuse was so bad that after contacting the authorities she sought refuge at a friend's house. "I'm safe,” she later tweeted. “Authorities have been notified. Staying with friends tonight. I'm not giving up. But this harassment of women in tech must stop!"
Her latest video, which is embedded above, focuses on the use of Women As Background Decoration and how sexually objectified women are often used by developers to add the sense of edginess or grittiness in game worlds. The video has been praised by numerous folks around the industry including development legend Tim Schafer who shared it on his personal Twitter account.
- StarCraft 2 pro-player expelled from Fragbite Masters tournament for Twitter rape comment about a female opponent
- New video gives a sneak peek at Destiny's first DLC The Dark Below
- Sony claims “no evidence” of a breach after hacker group claims to have leaked PSN account details online
- Activision using copyright strikes to remove Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare glitch videos from YouTube
- Steam Thanksgiving Sale to begin later this week
- Irrational Games seems to be hiring again
- Gorgeous Xbox One metroidvania adventure Ori And The Blind Forest delayed into next year
- Crytek bringing the action fo Warface to Siberia
- Warner Bros releases brand new Batman: Arkham Knight gameplay footage