Silicon Knights slashes staff
Canadian studio Silicon Knights has confirmed rumours that they have been forced to lay off a significant number of staff.
Initial reports pointed to the studio slashing as many as 75 jobs leaving a skeleton staff of 25 at the Too Human and Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem developer. Silicon Knights has since comfirmed that they have laid off around 43 people after negotiations with a potential partner fell through.
A spokesperson announced: "Last week Silicon Knights experienced layoffs due to extended contract negotiations falling through with a potential partner. We are currently in discussions with other potential partners. The recent Ontario government funding is tied to future performance targets, spread out over the next 5 years, which we will meet... The company is currently refocusing and returning to its roots, working on one of its most requested titles for the next generation."
Hopefully this means that they will be focusing on a follow up to Eternal Darkness for the as-yet unannounced next-gen consoles. We also hope that those out of a job will find employment again speedily.
- EA closes Maxis Emeryville
- Pillars Of Eternity is going to be massive
- Frontier is bringing Elite: Dangerous to the Xbox One this year
- Xbox One snags Wasteland 2
- Valve settles on a final design for the Steam Controller
- Elite creator David Braben to be honoured with this year's BAFTA Fellowship
- The date's out but Konami reveals the Collector's Edition of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
- New Steam Link hardware unveiled by Valve, Steam Controllers dated
- Valve announces the Source 2 engine