Silicon Knights slashes staff
Canadian studio Silicon Knights has confirmed rumours that they have been forced to lay off a significant number of staff.
Initial reports pointed to the studio slashing as many as 75 jobs leaving a skeleton staff of 25 at the Too Human and Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem developer. Silicon Knights has since comfirmed that they have laid off around 43 people after negotiations with a potential partner fell through.
A spokesperson announced: "Last week Silicon Knights experienced layoffs due to extended contract negotiations falling through with a potential partner. We are currently in discussions with other potential partners. The recent Ontario government funding is tied to future performance targets, spread out over the next 5 years, which we will meet... The company is currently refocusing and returning to its roots, working on one of its most requested titles for the next generation."
Hopefully this means that they will be focusing on a follow up to Eternal Darkness for the as-yet unannounced next-gen consoles. We also hope that those out of a job will find employment again speedily.
- Peter Molyneux: “There is a brilliant game there in Godus that is going to bring people together”
- FIFA Ultimate Team cheaters be warned EA Sports is coming for you
- #welovegamedevs Twitter campaign appears as an antidote to this week's unpleasantness
- No branching narratives for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
- Spa hotlap video arrives for F1 2014
- Phil Fish puts Polytron and Fez up for sale and quits Twitter after multiple hacks
- The Vanishing Of Ethan Carter gets a PC release date
- Sony schedules PSN maintenance for Monday
- Warframe update 14 hits PS4 as it closes in on 10 million registered users