CCP: Dust 514 will change online console gaming forever
EVE Online developer CCP are hoping to shape the future for online console gaming with their PS3-exclusive Dust 514.
Dust 514 is a MMOFPS that is linked in with EVE Online with the planetside actions having real effects on their cult PC MMO.
CCP's Thor Gunnarsson said: "The console space right now is where the PC was before the internet really kicked off. Console is about to leap forward and it won't look back. It would be a risk not to make Dust. It would be a risk to think that everything will work if we sit still."
"Our goal is simple; the actions of a PS3 player can have huge ramifications for large corporations within the world of EVE," Gunnarsson elaborated. "At CCP we've always believed that what happened in the PC space, when it was reborn around online gaming, would eventually happen with consoles. It is at that very point that we wanted to come in and lead the way. That will iterate over time. But, the objective is to make Dust 514 be significant to the world of Eve and vice-versa. So Dust players can call in air support or munitions from EVE players."
Dust 514 was confirmed by Sony and CCP at this year's E3 and is due some time in 2012.
Thanks Develop Online.
- First Nosgoth eSports tournament to begin next month
- Stealth Inc 2 trailer peeks it head out of the shadows
- The Crew beta launches on PS4 and Xbox One next week
- PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of Dying Light cancelled, Techland describes their development as painful
- Sony investigating issues resulting from the release of PS4 firmware 2.0
- New trailer makes Final Fantasy Type-0 HD look like the darkest Final Fantasy game yet
- Screenshot on the PlayStation Blog points to an Uncharted re-release on PS4
- EA gives a release window for Star Wars: Battlefront
- Activision announces details and a release date for Destiny's first DLC The Dark Below