Braben confirms that The Outsider remains in limbo
Frontier boss David Braben has confirmed that their long-running spy project, The Outsider, has not been cancelled but they're not currently working on it either.
Another anonymous source has fuelled speculation on the title saying that the project has been attached to both EA and Codemasters at various points.
The source suggested that Codemasters had signed The Outsider in 2008 but later dropped it in their desire to refocus on their core racing titles. The source began: "Codemasters decided they didn't want to fund it any more, they were being bank-rolled by a new Indian firm and focused their attention on core brands."
EA's interest was pipped by the title but they apparently wanted to repackage it as a Bourne title so that they could make use of the franchise after canning Starbreeze's interpretation of the series.
The source continued: "EA wanted a Bourne game because they own the franchise, and they didn't want to set up a new brand with The Outsider, it would be a safer bet to do another Bourne game. The game was almost complete, save for final recorded dialogue and cut scenes. The actual game is fully playable from start to finish, and though not fully polished gameplay-wise, it was still looking good and close to being a damn fine cover-based shooter."
- Thomas Was Alone gets a release date for PS4 and Wii U
- New Warframe update adds space-flight to the gameplay with Archwing mode
- New poll indicates that people believe online gaming is “the least welcoming space” for women
- CD Projekt RED releases The Trail, the opening cinematic from The Witcher 3
- New Project CARS trailer pulls up to the starting grid
- Far Cry 4 dev says linear games will suffer in the new world of gameplay video sharing
- Almost 1,100 developers, students and journalists sign the new #gamediversity petition embracing diversity in games
- Felicia Day breaks her silence about #Gamergate, is almost immediately doxxed
- Ubisoft announces PC specs for Assassin's Creed: Unity and they're killer