Star Trek Online to go free-to-play
Star Trek Online has become the latest MMO to confirm that it is switching from subscription to free-to-play.
Cryptic, the developer behind Star Trek Online, was recently bought from Atari by Perfect World and their CFO Kevin Lau made the announcement in their latest financial earnings report to investors.
Lau said: "Cryptic is working on the free-to-play model for Star Trek Online. This is going to be launched by the end of this year."
He added: "I think free-to-play model [has] a bigger potential in US market and also in China market."
Cryptic are hoping that the Star Trek Online can emulate the success of Age of Conan after it saw a massive spike in registered users due after going free-to-play.
- The Vanishing Of Ethan Carter gets a PC release date
- Sony schedules PSN maintenance for Monday
- Warframe update 14 hits PS4 as it closes in on 10 million registered users
- Bungie releases the official Destiny launch gameplay trailer
- Codemasters releases a new Austria hotlap video for F1 2014
- Eden Hazard joins Lionel Messi on the cover of FIFA 15
- PS Vita getting a five-game Adventure Mega Pack hardware bundle
- Lords Of The Fallen has “a steep learning curve”
- PS4 trailer arrives for Dreamfall Chapters, and some screenshots too