Star Trek Online to go free-to-play
Star Trek Online has become the latest MMO to confirm that it is switching from subscription to free-to-play.
Cryptic, the developer behind Star Trek Online, was recently bought from Atari by Perfect World and their CFO Kevin Lau made the announcement in their latest financial earnings report to investors.
Lau said: "Cryptic is working on the free-to-play model for Star Trek Online. This is going to be launched by the end of this year."
He added: "I think free-to-play model [has] a bigger potential in US market and also in China market."
Cryptic are hoping that the Star Trek Online can emulate the success of Age of Conan after it saw a massive spike in registered users due after going free-to-play.
- Merry Christmas from Play.tm!
- Microsoft offering some excellent Games With Gold in January
- New Battlefield: Hardline Karma trailer arrives
- Mystery Of The Mooil Rig DLC arrives for Sunset Overdrive
- Destiny registered users approaching 13 million
- STALKER devs GSC Gameworld reopens its doors
- Free game reward for Assassin's Creed: Unity users requires them to reliquish their right to sue Ubisoft
- Respawn wishes Titanfall had been released on Steam
- Team Junkfish's procedural survival horror Monstrum to return to Steam Early Access