Killing civilians would be crossing a line says Battlefield 3 dev
DICE has confirmed that they will not be competing with Call of Duty on the controversy stakes with the Battlefield 3 storyline.
Patrick Bach, executive producer of the Battlefield series, has said that there will not be any killing of innocent civilians like there was in Modern Warfare 2's No Russian level.
He explained: "If you put the player in front of a choice where they can do good things or bad things, they will do bad things, go dark side because people think it's cool to be naughty, they won't be caught. In a game where it's more authentic, when you have a gun in your hand and a child in front of you what would happen? Well the player would probably shoot that child. We would be the ones to be blamed. We have to build our experiences so we don't put the player in experiences where they can do bad things."
"I'm trying to stay away from civilians in games like BF because I think people will do bad," Bach continued. "I don't want to see videos on the internet where people shoot civilians. That's something I will sanitize by removing that feature from the game. That doesn't mean that I don't want people to feel that war is not good, We are trying to do something that is more mature. I think games need to grow up a bit. There will always be games for children I want games for grown-ups, games I can play. As long as I'm in the business I will make games that I want to play."
Thanks Rock, Paper, Shotgun.
- Luis Suarez' ban extends into FIFA 15 as well
- Creative Assembly revives the multiplayer for Rome: Total War – Alexander on Steam
- Shadow Of Mordor launch trailer makes the game look suitably epic
- Minecraft for PS Vita heads into final testing
- PlayStation Home to close next year
- New The Evil Within video offers up a survival lesson
- Shadow Of Mordor Season Pass trailer arrives teasing the game's DLC
- Excited about No Man's Sky? Now you can help make it
- Creative Assembly has something cool to reveal after Alien: Isolation is out the door