Killing civilians would be crossing a line says Battlefield 3 dev
DICE has confirmed that they will not be competing with Call of Duty on the controversy stakes with the Battlefield 3 storyline.
Patrick Bach, executive producer of the Battlefield series, has said that there will not be any killing of innocent civilians like there was in Modern Warfare 2's No Russian level.
He explained: "If you put the player in front of a choice where they can do good things or bad things, they will do bad things, go dark side because people think it's cool to be naughty, they won't be caught. In a game where it's more authentic, when you have a gun in your hand and a child in front of you what would happen? Well the player would probably shoot that child. We would be the ones to be blamed. We have to build our experiences so we don't put the player in experiences where they can do bad things."
"I'm trying to stay away from civilians in games like BF because I think people will do bad," Bach continued. "I don't want to see videos on the internet where people shoot civilians. That's something I will sanitize by removing that feature from the game. That doesn't mean that I don't want people to feel that war is not good, We are trying to do something that is more mature. I think games need to grow up a bit. There will always be games for children I want games for grown-ups, games I can play. As long as I'm in the business I will make games that I want to play."
Thanks Rock, Paper, Shotgun.
- Ultra Street Fighter IV coming to PS4 at the end of May
- Ubisoft to publish Homeworld Remastered Collection at retail next month
- Journey, Flower and FlOw heading to the PS4 in a retail package
- Phil Harrison's departure from Microsoft has been confirmed
- Here's the first look at Star Wars: Battlefront
- Project CARS will feature 110 courses across over 30 iconic locations
- Gratuitous Space Battles 2 arrives today
- First Star Wars: Battlefront details arrive including a release date
- The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt's release date is now set in stone