Steve Jobs steps down as Apple CEO
The computing and electronics world rocked this week with the revelation that Apple's figurehead, Steve Jobs is to step down as the company's CEO.
Jobs has decided to call time on his 15-year reign as the CEO of Apple. Under his stewardship we have seen the launch of the iPod, the iPhone and the iPad which have helped Apple become the most valuable company in the world.
He released a statement saying: "I have always said if there ever came a day when I could no longer meet my duties and expectations as Apple's CEO, I would be the first to let you know. Unfortunately, that day has come. I hereby resign as CEO of Apple. I would like to serve, if the board sees fit, as chairman of the board, director and Apple employee. As far as my successor goes, I strongly recommend that we execute our succession plan and name Tim Cook as CEO of Apple."
Tim Cook has been installed as the new CEO of Apple and Jobs will indeed remain as the chairman of the company.
Cook promised: "I am looking forward to the amazing opportunity of serving as CEO of the most innovative company in the world. I share Steve's optimism for Apple's bright future. I want you to be confident that Apple is not going to change. I cherish and celebrate Apple's unique principles and values. Steve built a company and culture that is unlike any other in the world and we are going to stay true to that - it is in our DNA. We are going to continue to make the best products in the world that delight our customers and make our employees incredibly proud of what they do."
Jobs has given no reason for him stepping down, however he has been struggling with illness since he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer back in 2003 and had a liver transplant in 2009. He has rarely been seen in public this year and was rumoured to have been seeking treatment at the beginning of the year for cancer again.
- Fahrenheit remaster arrives on PC and iOS
- Feminist Frequency planning two new series for 2015
- Other Ocean's #IDARB and Brothers: A Tale Of Two Sons heading to Xbox Live's Games With Gold next month
- Cupcakes unveiled by The Behemoth as a new unit in Game 4
- Battlefield: Hardline developer diary arrives, promises beta date tomorrow
- Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn gets a free-login weekend beginning Friday
- Sony dropping the Maps and YouTube apps from the PS Vita
- Unidentified Russian believed to responsible for distributing Ubisoft's deleted illegitemate game keys
- Dragon Age: Inquisition becomes BioWare's best-selling game yet