We don't want to release a PS4 yet says Sony
Sony's Shuhei Yoshida has stated that they have no desire to release a new generation of home console just yet.
The Sony Worldwide Studios boss explained that there was no point in releasing new home hardware while developers were still finding new ways to squeeze extra performance out of the current generation.
"Looking at the platform cycle, when the platform becomes something game developers are not able to improve their creations with, that's the time we have to really seriously consider shifting to the next generation," he began. "As far as we are concerned, we have no desire now to do that [release a new home console]."
Yoshida-san continued: "Gamers always need something new and more exciting. If they're seeing just similar types of games coming year after year, they will quickly lose their interest. Looking like that, when you see games coming out on PS3, both the traditional type of games as well as new kind of games using PS Move, there is a lot more we can do from the game development standpoint. So as long as we and our developers can create new experiences that are more exciting to consumers, I see no need to transition into newer generation."
Rumours have been circulating that Sony have already placed orders for production of a new console that will feature motion-sensing camera technology along the lines of Microsoft's Kinect.
- Trine series sells 7 million copies, Frozenbyte releases user-creation tools
- Lots of teary-eyed gamers as more Star Wars: Battlefront 3 gameplay footage leaks out
- Jade Raymond leaves Ubisoft Toronto to pursue new opportunities
- Ryse: Son Of Rome scores Best Game Design award at the Animago Awards in Germany
- Activision releases the launch trailer for Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare a little early
- Rockstar won't be holding a beta for GTA Online on the PC
- UK to toughen up laws on internet harassment
- Final Fantasy XIV Heavensward expansion announced for release next year, first screenshots released
- Driveclub issues persist as players report trouble downloading the latest patch