Red Faction canned for being too much of a niche series
THQ has said that they will not be making any more games in the Red Faction franchise due to the disappointing performance of both Guerilla and this year's Armageddon.
Both games definitely found their own niches in the market but THQ felt this was not enough to justify making any more games in the series.
Brian Farrell, president of THQ explained: "Given that that title, now in two successive versions, has just found a niche, we do not intend to carry forward with that franchise in any meaningful way. In today's hit-driven, core gaming business, even highly-polished titles with a reasonable following like Red Faction face a bar that continues to move higher and higher. Moving forward, our core game titles must meet a very high quality standard with strong creative and product differentiation, appeal to a broad audience, and be marketed aggressively."
Volition, the THQ studio behind the Red Faction series will now concentrate on Saints Row and the new Guillermo Del Toro collaboration Insane.
- Bungie explains their latest weapon balancing efforts in Destiny, promises more is coming
- Blizzard aiming to release Hearthstone on Android tablets by the end of the year
- Former BioWare man Casey Hudson hints at an Oculus Rift project
- Dark Souls on PC to switch from Games For Windows Live to Steam next month
- Square Enix announces details and pricing on the premium livestream of Final Fantasy XIV Fan Festival 2014
- First Challenge Mode DLC arrives next week for Alien: Isolation
- Metallica to close out this year's BlizzCon
- Free DLC adds a new skin and runes to Shadow Of Mordor
- ESL Gaming app arrives for the Xbox One