Red Faction canned for being too much of a niche series
THQ has said that they will not be making any more games in the Red Faction franchise due to the disappointing performance of both Guerilla and this year's Armageddon.
Both games definitely found their own niches in the market but THQ felt this was not enough to justify making any more games in the series.
Brian Farrell, president of THQ explained: "Given that that title, now in two successive versions, has just found a niche, we do not intend to carry forward with that franchise in any meaningful way. In today's hit-driven, core gaming business, even highly-polished titles with a reasonable following like Red Faction face a bar that continues to move higher and higher. Moving forward, our core game titles must meet a very high quality standard with strong creative and product differentiation, appeal to a broad audience, and be marketed aggressively."
Volition, the THQ studio behind the Red Faction series will now concentrate on Saints Row and the new Guillermo Del Toro collaboration Insane.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III is coming to the PS3 and Xbox 360 after all
- Tomonobu Itagaki's Devil's Third gets a release date
- Adr1ft is coming to PC and consoles at the end of the summer
- EA gives the new Mirror's Edge a name – Mirror's Edge Catalyst
- ZombiU PS4 and Xbox One port reportedly in the works
- Mike Bithell's Volume to be released this August
- Gearbox's new shooter Battleborn gets a pre-E3 trailer
- Steam Controller launches in October, Steam Machines arrive in November
- Gears Of War devs Black Tusk change their name to The Coalition ahead of E3