Red Faction canned for being too much of a niche series
THQ has said that they will not be making any more games in the Red Faction franchise due to the disappointing performance of both Guerilla and this year's Armageddon.
Both games definitely found their own niches in the market but THQ felt this was not enough to justify making any more games in the series.
Brian Farrell, president of THQ explained: "Given that that title, now in two successive versions, has just found a niche, we do not intend to carry forward with that franchise in any meaningful way. In today's hit-driven, core gaming business, even highly-polished titles with a reasonable following like Red Faction face a bar that continues to move higher and higher. Moving forward, our core game titles must meet a very high quality standard with strong creative and product differentiation, appeal to a broad audience, and be marketed aggressively."
Volition, the THQ studio behind the Red Faction series will now concentrate on Saints Row and the new Guillermo Del Toro collaboration Insane.
- Wasteland 2 gets a final release date
- Hellblade not tied to Heavenly Sword in any way stresses Ninja Theory
- Plants Vs Zombies: Garden Warfare gets a free trial on PC
- Crytek to repair their reputation by making good games
- Microsoft reveals another selection of Forza Horizon 2's 200 cars
- Microsoft insisted on 1080p for Diablo III on the Xbox One
- You want hardcore difficulty? Pillars Of Eternity will delete your savegame when you die
- Destiny writer joins Telltale Game to work on the Game Of Thrones series
- Ubisoft's support for PS3 and Xbox 360 to taper off after 2015