Red Faction canned for being too much of a niche series
THQ has said that they will not be making any more games in the Red Faction franchise due to the disappointing performance of both Guerilla and this year's Armageddon.
Both games definitely found their own niches in the market but THQ felt this was not enough to justify making any more games in the series.
Brian Farrell, president of THQ explained: "Given that that title, now in two successive versions, has just found a niche, we do not intend to carry forward with that franchise in any meaningful way. In today's hit-driven, core gaming business, even highly-polished titles with a reasonable following like Red Faction face a bar that continues to move higher and higher. Moving forward, our core game titles must meet a very high quality standard with strong creative and product differentiation, appeal to a broad audience, and be marketed aggressively."
Volition, the THQ studio behind the Red Faction series will now concentrate on Saints Row and the new Guillermo Del Toro collaboration Insane.
- Sony releases a pretty 1080p gameplay video of God Of War III on PS4
- Techland shelves Hellraid to focus on Dying Light
- Don't Starve gets a release date for the Wii U
- Here's the trailer for the next episode of Telltale's Game Of Thrones
- Bloodborne will see DLC before the end of the year
- CD Projekt RED addresses visual downgrade issues with The Witcher 3
- Batman: Arkham Knight gets a new trailer featuring the Nine Inch Nails
- This year's Need For Speed is bringing back the narrative
- No Bard's Tale IV on consoles, InXile not ruling it out though