Red Faction canned for being too much of a niche series
THQ has said that they will not be making any more games in the Red Faction franchise due to the disappointing performance of both Guerilla and this year's Armageddon.
Both games definitely found their own niches in the market but THQ felt this was not enough to justify making any more games in the series.
Brian Farrell, president of THQ explained: "Given that that title, now in two successive versions, has just found a niche, we do not intend to carry forward with that franchise in any meaningful way. In today's hit-driven, core gaming business, even highly-polished titles with a reasonable following like Red Faction face a bar that continues to move higher and higher. Moving forward, our core game titles must meet a very high quality standard with strong creative and product differentiation, appeal to a broad audience, and be marketed aggressively."
Volition, the THQ studio behind the Red Faction series will now concentrate on Saints Row and the new Guillermo Del Toro collaboration Insane.
- Rockstar announces a San Andreas 10th Anniversary event this weekend for GTA Online
- Dead Or Alive 5: Last Round gets a release date
- Unfinished Swan to hit the PS4 and PS Vita next week
- Gamersgate.com CEO emphasizes that they have nothing to do with #Gamergate
- Microsoft announces the feature list for the November Xbox One update
- EA Sports patches in some more missing features for the next-gen versions of NHL 15
- Blizzard begins rolling out a new patch for Starcraft II
- Far Cry 4 Season Pass details announced
- Shinji Mikami: I never use women as objects in my games