Epic likes the look of the Wii U
There may be no confirmed Epic titles making their way to the Wii U when it launches next year but the Gears of War developer is interested in Nintendo's new console.
President of the studio Mike Capps has said that unofficially the the Wii U opens up some new doors unavailable on the current generation and they are very interested in developing for the platform.
Capps began: We haven't made an official announcement about that platform. And while we loved the Wii, it just wasn't a fit to make a game that would go across Xbox 360, PS3 and the Wii. It just wasn't possible. So going forward, we're working with those folks and we're very interested in the Wii U."
"We find that the best way to support a platform is to be making a game for it and we don't currently have a game in development for that platform," he elaborated. "For example, we don't officially support Android, although we have demos that work on Android... But we officially support iPhone because we've made a game and we know it works. We know how to get through the certification process we know it cold. That's sort of important to me; as a game developer who's selling an engine, I want to make sure that I can ship a game on it myself, which is why we have very clear public support of PS3, Xbox 360, PC and iPhone but not as clear when it comes to Android or Wii U."
The Epic president concluded: "At the launch event at E3, some of the products that you saw running on Wii U were based on Unreal Engine technology. So that kind of gives you an idea of where we are in that space. You can certainly use our engine on that platform it's a natural fit from a technology perspective. It opens up some doors that weren't open before on current generation consoles because it is going to be a powerful box. I'm sure [Epic VP] Mark Rein would love anyone who's interested to know how official our support is to get in touch with him!"
- Other Ocean's #IDARB and Brothers: A Tale Of Two Sons heading to Xbox Live's Games With Gold next month
- Cupcakes unveiled by The Behemoth as a new unit in Game 4
- Battlefield: Hardline developer diary arrives, promises beta date tomorrow
- Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn gets a free-login weekend beginning Friday
- Sony dropping the Maps and YouTube apps from the PS Vita
- Unidentified Russian believed to responsible for distributing Ubisoft's deleted illegitemate game keys
- Dragon Age: Inquisition becomes BioWare's best-selling game yet
- Elite devs Frontier lays off staff and effectively closes their Canadian studio
- Monstrum system specs announced