Guitar Hero will be reinvented says Kotick
Activision CEO, Bobby Kotick, has finally passed comment on the cancellation of the Guitar Hero and DJ Hero franchises.
He admitted that they had neglected to give the Guitar Hero series the "nourishment and care" that it deserved and its success waned as a result.
Kotick explained to Forbes: "In the case of Guitar Hero, we did the research and it was very clear people didnt want more 80s heavy metal music. But what they wanted was very difficult for us to get from the music companies," he said. "Ill give you an example: The number one thing that our audiences wanted in Guitar Hero was Led Zeppelin. But we couldnt get Led Zeppelin to consent to give us the rights. And there were a lot of instances of that, a whole host of artists who just didnt want to give rights to Guitar Hero, and it was hard to get around that. And then there were other things we put things out there that were not ready for prime time and that today actually would resonate very well with audiences."
He continued: "...Guitar Hero became unsuccessful because it didnt have any nourishment and care. So we made what I think was exactly the right decision last year. We said you know what, we need to regain our audience interest, and we really need to deliver inspired innovation. So were going to take the products out of the market, and were not going to tell anybody what were doing for awhile, but were going to stop selling Guitar Hero altogether. And then were going to go back to the studios and were going to use new studios and reinvent Guitar Hero. And so thats what were doing with it now."
- Visuals are key to the PS4's success according to Nielsen's latest survey
- Sledgehammer considering revisiting classic multiplayer maps for Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare
- New ToeJam & Earl game comes to Kickstarter
- Free login campaign announced as Final Fantasy XIV tops 4 million registered users
- Fable Legends will be free-to-play on both PC and Xbox One
- Bastion will hit the PS4 in April
- Sierra bringing Velocity 2X to Xbox One and PC
- This month is a triple-A bonanza for Xbox gamers on Games With Gold
- New House Of Wolves leak shows a Reef social hub for Destiny