2011 is the year of the core says Levine
Ken Levine the head of Irrational Games believes firmly that core gaming is making a resurgence this year.
Levine reckons that the Wii U and the PS Vita are opening up new possibilities for core gaming namely gaming quietly in bed while your wife is asleep.
He began: "It's a great year for the core coming back and saying, okay, have your touch screens, have your motion control, we'll try to make that work, and if you can pull that off it'll be really good. But I want to have my cake and eat it too, I think these experiences are starting to allow that to happen."
Levine expanded: "I've always had to sacrifice that core gaming experience when I lie in bed playing games. We're now getting to a place with Vita and what Nintendo's doing where that's not necessarily going to be the case, where you can play full-on hardcore games in bed with the lights out while your wife's asleep. That means a lot to me."
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III is coming to the PS3 and Xbox 360 after all
- Tomonobu Itagaki's Devil's Third gets a release date
- Adr1ft is coming to PC and consoles at the end of the summer
- EA gives the new Mirror's Edge a name – Mirror's Edge Catalyst
- ZombiU PS4 and Xbox One port reportedly in the works
- Mike Bithell's Volume to be released this August
- Gearbox's new shooter Battleborn gets a pre-E3 trailer
- Steam Controller launches in October, Steam Machines arrive in November
- Gears Of War devs Black Tusk change their name to The Coalition ahead of E3