Wii U is a cool stop gap console says Gearbox
The co-founder of Gearbox, Brian Martel seems to be very enthusiastic about the possibilities presented by the Wii U even if he used a slightly unfortunate turn of phrase.
Martel described the Wii U as a "cool stop gap console" a phrase which conjures up images of SEGA's pioneering yet ultimately ill-fated final home console, the Dreamcast.
He enthused: "We think it's going to be a really cool stop-gap in between this generation and the next generation. We think it's really smart of Nintendo, and the fact that as a platform it's a lot more capable for hardcore first-person shooter-style gaming for us that's fantastic."
Speaking about Aliens: Colonial Marines more specifically he added: "So the obvious thing for us is that we can do the motion tracker, or the sentry gun information all that kind of stuff. That stuff is really sexy for us. Getting the information off the screen and onto this device is a fantastic idea, right? So can we have a HUD-less environment? Yeah, probably. That would be fantastic, right?"
The Wii U is out next year an already boasts a fairly impressive array of third part support well in excess of the support the Wii received when it launched.
- BioShock Infinite: Complete Edition coming this November
- Final piece of Dark Souls II DLC is delayed, new screenshots released to soothe the pain
- Eden Hazard shows off some of his new skill moves from FIFA 15
- Assassin's Creed: Unity Season Pass comes with a 2.5D standalone adventure set in China
- Saints Row IV modders create a new weapon skin for the Alien SMG in honour of Steve Jaros' departure
- PlayStation TV gets a release date for Europe and the US
- Driveclub gets a white PS4 hardware bundle
- Sony offering up a free online multiplayer weekend on PS4 this weekend
- Sledgehammer promises a reveal of Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare co-op mode soon