Pachter: I expect the PS4 around 2014
Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter has been laying down his predictions for when Sony will be releasing their next console.
Pachter said that he reckons that Sony will be watching the success of the Wii U before they finalise what the specs of the PlayStation4 meaning that they won't reveal the machine until 2013 at the earliest.
He said: "I think it's unlikely [that PS4 will be announced in 2012]. Wii U isn't going to pressure anyone, it's Nintendo's catch up to this cycle, and the other guys are going to see if the tablet integration is worth copying first. That means nobody is going to finalize specs till they see if Wii U succeeds. I am sticking to 2014, so an 'unveil' in 2013."
Sony's Jack Tretton recently said that they have no plans to announce a new home console any time soon.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III is coming to the PS3 and Xbox 360 after all
- Tomonobu Itagaki's Devil's Third gets a release date
- Adr1ft is coming to PC and consoles at the end of the summer
- EA gives the new Mirror's Edge a name – Mirror's Edge Catalyst
- ZombiU PS4 and Xbox One port reportedly in the works
- Mike Bithell's Volume to be released this August
- Gearbox's new shooter Battleborn gets a pre-E3 trailer
- Steam Controller launches in October, Steam Machines arrive in November
- Gears Of War devs Black Tusk change their name to The Coalition ahead of E3