Team Fortress 2 player numbers spike after going free-to-play
After Valve relaunching Team Fortress 2 as a free-to-play title it has rocketed to the top of Steam's most played games.
Team Fortress 2 has supplanted the usual number-one played title Counter-Strike as the most played game on Steam with the number of players spiking by almost 30,000 from around 70,000 on Friday to 97,917 today.
Valve made the bold move to make TF2 free-to-play last week moving it to a microtransaction funding model for players to pick up extra gear for their favourite class of character.
"The more players, the more available servers in your area, the wider variety of other players you'll find, the greater the opportunity for new experiences, and so on," explained Valve's Robin Walker of their new multiplayer strategy.
Thanks Develop Online.
- The Iron Banner returns to Destiny next week
- Jason Voorhees DLC coming to Mortal Kombat X next month
- Square Enix announces their own E3 press conference
- Avalanche to reveal Just Cause 3's gameplay next week
- EA Sports Rory McIlroy PGA Tour delayed a touch
- Telltale announces a new deal with Marvel
- Sanctuary update arrives for Warframe on consoles
- Call Of Duty: Black Ops III gets another teaser trailer
- Patrice Desilets unveils his new game Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey