Volition confesses a Rockstar influence in Saints Row
Volition, the studio behind the Saints Row series, has confessed that their work on their over-the-top open world series has been informed by rivals Rockstar Games.
Lead writer on Saints Row: The Third, Drew Holmes said that they've been looking at everything that the open-world genre has to offer in order to try and make the latest Saints Row game the best yet.
He said: "You have to look at every single open-world game that's out there in terms of the way that they're building out their world, creating an experience and engaging people."
Holmes added: "So I think all those open-world games that've been out; Red Dead Redemption, LA Noire... we're certainly looking at that and saying, 'what are those guys doing? What are the good and bad points?' We evaluate every single game that's out there - I think there's something you can learn from the market in terms of what we can learn from them, for both Saints Row 3 and future projects."
Saints Row: The Third is due out later this year on PS3, PC and Xbox 360.
- Ken Levine's next game is a first-person sci-fi title
- Battlefield: Hardline beta coming to all platforms next week
- Transistor and Yakuza 4 among February's PS Plus Instant Game Collection pickings
- Third and final Life Is Strange development diary arrives ahead of tomorrow's launch of episode one
- Nintendo shows profits despite the Wii U continuing to underperform
- Goetia demo is now live
- There's a whole load of LEGO games coming this year including LEGO Jurassic World
- Resident Evil: Revelations 2 devs confident that Resident Evil 7 will be mind-blowing
- Steam content creators raise more than 50 million USD making hats for Team Fortress 2 and the like