id wants Quake 5 to be a reboot in the style of the original Quake
Id Software's technical boss and guru John Carmack has been discussing the possibilities for the next game in the Quake series.
Carmack said that there are plenty of folks back at the studio that would love to reboot the series in the Cthulu-esque setting from the original Quake rather than bringing back the Strogg.
He said: "We went from the Quake 2 and the Quake 4 Strogg universe. We are at least tossing around the possibilities of going back to the bizarre, mixed up Cthulhu-ish Quake 1 world and rebooting that direction."
The DOOM co-creator added: "We think that would be a more interesting direction than doing more Strogg stuff after Quake 4. We certainly have strong factions internally that want to go do this. But we could do something pretty grand like that, that still tweaks the memory right in all of those ways, but is actually cohesive and plays with all of the strengths of the level were at right now."
RAGE is id's next big release and is due out in October on PS3, PC and Xbox 360. Next up after that is DOOM 4 so Quake 5 is probably still a way away.
- Report finds that the 100 USD tier of Assassin's Creed: Unity's microtransactions is completely unnecessary
- Final Fantasy Type-0 HD gets a new trailer
- Bungie deconstructs their latest Destiny patch, hints at what is coming next
- DayZ creator Dean Hall could join UK studio Improbable
- Shadow Of Mordor arrives on last-gen consoles
- David Braben apologises for ditching Elite: Dangerous's offline mode, outlines refund criteria
- Microsoft celebrates the 1st birthday of the Xbox One with free access to Sunset Overdrive
- Hacker group leaks account details for thousands of PSN, Origin, Windows Live and 2K Game Studios accounts
- RedLynx promises online multiplayer is coming to Trials Fusion early next year