id wants Quake 5 to be a reboot in the style of the original Quake
Id Software's technical boss and guru John Carmack has been discussing the possibilities for the next game in the Quake series.
Carmack said that there are plenty of folks back at the studio that would love to reboot the series in the Cthulu-esque setting from the original Quake rather than bringing back the Strogg.
He said: "We went from the Quake 2 and the Quake 4 Strogg universe. We are at least tossing around the possibilities of going back to the bizarre, mixed up Cthulhu-ish Quake 1 world and rebooting that direction."
The DOOM co-creator added: "We think that would be a more interesting direction than doing more Strogg stuff after Quake 4. We certainly have strong factions internally that want to go do this. But we could do something pretty grand like that, that still tweaks the memory right in all of those ways, but is actually cohesive and plays with all of the strengths of the level were at right now."
RAGE is id's next big release and is due out in October on PS3, PC and Xbox 360. Next up after that is DOOM 4 so Quake 5 is probably still a way away.
- Riot Games in talks with European ISPs over building a dedicated League Of Legends network
- New 2-on-2 mode lands in Destiny's Crucible
- Second Life Is Strange developer diaries arrives, Reddit AMA planned for next week
- Destiny's Crota's End Raid beaten in 27 minutes on Hard Mode
- Techland to show off Dying Light's asymmetric multiplayer Be A Zombie mode tomorrow
- You won't need a new graphics card in order to use DirectX 12
- Dying Light physical launch outside North America coming end of February with free DLC for all
- Telltale's Game Of Thrones Episode 2 coming at the beginning of next month
- Sony unveils special edition Bloodborne PS4s for Japan