id wants Quake 5 to be a reboot in the style of the original Quake
Id Software's technical boss and guru John Carmack has been discussing the possibilities for the next game in the Quake series.
Carmack said that there are plenty of folks back at the studio that would love to reboot the series in the Cthulu-esque setting from the original Quake rather than bringing back the Strogg.
He said: "We went from the Quake 2 and the Quake 4 Strogg universe. We are at least tossing around the possibilities of going back to the bizarre, mixed up Cthulhu-ish Quake 1 world and rebooting that direction."
The DOOM co-creator added: "We think that would be a more interesting direction than doing more Strogg stuff after Quake 4. We certainly have strong factions internally that want to go do this. But we could do something pretty grand like that, that still tweaks the memory right in all of those ways, but is actually cohesive and plays with all of the strengths of the level were at right now."
RAGE is id's next big release and is due out in October on PS3, PC and Xbox 360. Next up after that is DOOM 4 so Quake 5 is probably still a way away.
- New Overwatch videos show off Hanzo and McCree
- Tychus loses his cigar for his appearance in Heroes Of The Storm
- Capcom details the Ultra Street Fighter IV PS4 upgrades
- Codemasters releases a teaser for F1 2015
- Total War: Arena gameplay unveiled
- Warner Bros bringing Batman's cowl and cape from Batman: Arkham Knight to MCM Comic-Con this weekend
- Red Thread gives an update on Dreamfall Chapters Book Three
- Sony releases a pretty 1080p gameplay video of God Of War III on PS4
- Techland shelves Hellraid to focus on Dying Light