No movie playback for the Wii U
Nintendo has decided against including support for disc-based movie playback on the Wii U as it did with the Wii.
The Wii U despite supporting a 25GB disc format will not play movies on DVD or Blu-ray with the company's president Satoru Iwata stating that so may people already have either a DVD or Blu-ray player that it didn't warrant the cost.
Iwata explained to investors in his quarterly Q and A session: "Wii U does not have DVD or Blu-ray playback capabilities. The reason for that is that we feel that enough people already have devices that are capable of playing DVDs and Blu-ray, such that it didnt warrant the cost involved to build that functionality into the Wii U console because of the patents related to those technologies."
The Wii U will launch next year and is expected some time in the spring or the summer.
- Ultra Street Fighter IV coming to PS4 at the end of May
- Ubisoft to publish Homeworld Remastered Collection at retail next month
- Journey, Flower and FlOw heading to the PS4 in a retail package
- Phil Harrison's departure from Microsoft has been confirmed
- Here's the first look at Star Wars: Battlefront
- Project CARS will feature 110 courses across over 30 iconic locations
- Gratuitous Space Battles 2 arrives today
- First Star Wars: Battlefront details arrive including a release date
- The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt's release date is now set in stone