No movie playback for the Wii U
Nintendo has decided against including support for disc-based movie playback on the Wii U as it did with the Wii.
The Wii U despite supporting a 25GB disc format will not play movies on DVD or Blu-ray with the company's president Satoru Iwata stating that so may people already have either a DVD or Blu-ray player that it didn't warrant the cost.
Iwata explained to investors in his quarterly Q and A session: "Wii U does not have DVD or Blu-ray playback capabilities. The reason for that is that we feel that enough people already have devices that are capable of playing DVDs and Blu-ray, such that it didnt warrant the cost involved to build that functionality into the Wii U console because of the patents related to those technologies."
The Wii U will launch next year and is expected some time in the spring or the summer.
- Final piece of Dark Souls II Season Pass DLC arrives on PC and Xbox 360
- CD Projekt RED releases some concept art for Triss and Emhyr from The Witcher 3
- 2K announces the new MyCareer mode for WWE 2K15
- Microsoft skips 9 and goes straight to announcing Windows 10
- Luis Suarez' ban extends into FIFA 15 as well
- Creative Assembly revives the multiplayer for Rome: Total War – Alexander on Steam
- Shadow Of Mordor launch trailer makes the game look suitably epic
- Minecraft for PS Vita heads into final testing
- PlayStation Home to close next year