No movie playback for the Wii U
Nintendo has decided against including support for disc-based movie playback on the Wii U as it did with the Wii.
The Wii U despite supporting a 25GB disc format will not play movies on DVD or Blu-ray with the company's president Satoru Iwata stating that so may people already have either a DVD or Blu-ray player that it didn't warrant the cost.
Iwata explained to investors in his quarterly Q and A session: "Wii U does not have DVD or Blu-ray playback capabilities. The reason for that is that we feel that enough people already have devices that are capable of playing DVDs and Blu-ray, such that it didnt warrant the cost involved to build that functionality into the Wii U console because of the patents related to those technologies."
The Wii U will launch next year and is expected some time in the spring or the summer.
- FIFA 16 will throw women's teams into the mix
- New The Elder Scrolls Online trailer shows off the expansive world of Tamriel
- Batman: Arkham Knight gets a new 7-minute gameplay trailer
- Wildstar to go free-to-play later this year
- AMD highlights the benefits DirectX 12 will offer their users
- It could be 2 years before CD Projekt RED talks about Cyberpunk 2077 again
- PS4 remaster of Darksiders II appears on Amazon
- Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes comes to PS Plus next month
- Wii U version of Project CARS may not be released