No movie playback for the Wii U
Nintendo has decided against including support for disc-based movie playback on the Wii U as it did with the Wii.
The Wii U despite supporting a 25GB disc format will not play movies on DVD or Blu-ray with the company's president Satoru Iwata stating that so may people already have either a DVD or Blu-ray player that it didn't warrant the cost.
Iwata explained to investors in his quarterly Q and A session: "Wii U does not have DVD or Blu-ray playback capabilities. The reason for that is that we feel that enough people already have devices that are capable of playing DVDs and Blu-ray, such that it didnt warrant the cost involved to build that functionality into the Wii U console because of the patents related to those technologies."
The Wii U will launch next year and is expected some time in the spring or the summer.
- Trine series sells 7 million copies, Frozenbyte releases user-creation tools
- Lots of teary-eyed gamers as more Star Wars: Battlefront 3 gameplay footage leaks out
- Jade Raymond leaves Ubisoft Toronto to pursue new opportunities
- Ryse: Son Of Rome scores Best Game Design award at the Animago Awards in Germany
- Activision releases the launch trailer for Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare a little early
- Rockstar won't be holding a beta for GTA Online on the PC
- UK to toughen up laws on internet harassment
- Final Fantasy XIV Heavensward expansion announced for release next year, first screenshots released
- Driveclub issues persist as players report trouble downloading the latest patch